cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contacting emergency service overseas

rossputin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Had a family emergency today in Europe.  The problem is that I am Canada.

Any suggestions on how someone here can contact 112 or 999 over there?

11 REPLIES 11

rossputin

Tested it and it worked!

Phew a bit of peace of mind.

@rossputin , you might not like it.   I was checking so old posts and I think you asked this question before about if Ireland is included in the Holiday give-a-way

The "400" minute bonus from December 2019 and the "500" minute bonus from December 2020 was said to cover Canada, United States, China, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, India, Italy, South Korea, Malaysia, Mexico, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Singapore, Spain, Thailand, United Kingdom, and Venezuela.

But.. the best way to find out is to try it out.  You have so many mins left still, try it out.

@rossputin  you beat me on that.. i was to remind you that  you are here long enough, you should have some goodies from Santa ...  

rossputin

Oh wow.  Looky what I still have.  I'm guessing this suffices (for Ireland)?

Screenshot_20210611-154928.png

@rossputin International mins has to be bought by 300 min for $15.  You keep them until you used them all up.  

PM is a Prepaid service, you can just call couple mins and charged just that. 

rossputin

Researching this for the same reason.  I need to ability to make an emergency call to Ireland in a timely fashion, but not keen on paying much more than the minute or 5 necessary.

Any update on how ?

@rossputin wrote:

Discussing with a friend today, we wondered why can't it just me like any other long distance call? 

That is Dial "011" plus country code and city code then 999 (or applicable number).

Happily pay charges for an emergency.

999 isn't a regular phone number. Please don't try dialing this for information purposes  unless you pre-arrange a non-emergency test. I suspect that variations of 911, 999, and 112 may all go to the same place and be answered by someone relatively local to your geographical location. I also think that if you had an emergency with a family member in a different country such as the person you're talking to starts slurring words, 911 here might be able to help you, or to at least get someone on the line who can.  You could call your local police department's division/precinct to ask for information (do not call 911 for this; call a regular phone number to contact them).

Anonymous
Not applicable

@rossputin : I'm not sure _any_ provider can do that. I suppose technically the world could allow that but I don't think anyone does. Perhaps it would be a language thing. Imagine the time wasted getting around language barriers.

But I go back to what circumstance would make it that someone in a whole other continent would be needing to call 911. On the phone and the other end stops talking and you hear a banging and thudding and no further talk from them. Maybe.

As for charges, they don't do after the fact charges here.

rossputin

Discussing with a friend today, we wondered why can't it just me like any other long distance call? 

That is Dial "011" plus country code and city code then 999 (or applicable number).

Happily pay charges for an emergency.

@rossputin 

Just did some research online:

https://www.howtocallabroad.com/forums/topic/how-to-call-3-digit-emergency-number-from-another-count...

As mentioned above, directly call police station near person.  Call a friend or family in the same country.  

Hopefully, this does not happen often.  Stressful situation.  

cavemantoronto
Mayor / Maire

@rossputin wrote:

Had a family emergency today in Europe.  The problem is that I am Canada.

Any suggestions on how someone here can contact 112 or 999 over there?

You'll need a long ditsance add-on to call the country in Europe if it's a country included in the add-on. Call a regular non emergency number of the police or fire department for that place. They will connect you.

Need Help? Let's chat.