cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant call drops

Sixfreesbrat
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I constantly drop call when talking to anyone. I live in BC and this has been happening since around January. I talked to my Sister today and in a half hour phone call I dropped 4 times. I find this unacceptable. What can be done?

12 REPLIES 12

Sixfreesbrat

This has been going on since January. I used to have full bars where I live now I have 1. I think TELUS is throttling service.

Sixfreesbrat

It’s funny I have used public mobile for 5 years with zero problems. Now that TELUS has changed the way things used to be, the service has been crappy. I used to have full bars on my iPhone where I live but since January of this year (when my call dropping started) I have 1 bar.

MandyR79
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I also tried that solution of changing the network to manual and choosing Public. I made a call today that was ten minutes long and it didn't disconnect, but the ones last week and yesterday would disconnect at about 20 - 26 mins in.

And also! The call logs show only one call from the psychologist yesterday was only 4 mins 16 seconds. At 5:18 PM AT. They actually called at 5:30 PM AT on the dot, and were supposed to be on for an hour. The call dropped at 20 mins in, and when they called back, 26 more mins, then like 10-15 mins after that. That's what prompted me to look, this is ridiculous. Inaccurate call records are unacceptable.

If I weren't afraid of going over 1.5 GB data, I would go with Lucky. I like having 4GB as wiggle room, my average data use is between 500MB to a little over 1GB because I work from home (when I checked Koodo I was with for the better part of fifteen years before switching to this, can't go check even last month data usage here!) but last year there was a month I used 2.6GB.

smurfit
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I decided to try my pixel 3 again today, but nope! Dropped the call at 15min mark. It seems odd that it is almost always some factor of 3. It usually disconnects me at 9min, 15min, or 18min on the dot. This is technically not really even a dropped call issue. It is not due to signal loss or switching towers. It is purposeful timed disconnect by some sort of algorithm. I think we need to setup some sort of shared spreadsheet to log these disconnected calls to try to submit to Telus. 

My info for today:

Phone: pixel 3 (volte supported on telus but not pm)

Approximate location: BC

Time of call disconnect: 4:30pm pdt

Duration of call: 15min02sec (incoming call)

Frequency: 3G umts signal -101dbm.

What else do I need to include to help get to the bottom of this issue without breaching privacy rules?

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

I rarely have phone calls longer than a few minutes but had an important call yesterday which dropped twice at 8-9 minutes intervals with three beeps.  The caller had to call back both times.  This is in Ontario with a PM enabled VoLTE iPhone.  I am trying a suggestion I found on a Google search which is to change the network selection from automatic to manual and select Public Mobile from the choices.  Too soon to know yet whether it has worked.  My phone must be running off Bell towers as there are no Telus towers in the area according to a cell tower map.

MandyR79

Tried that and it asked me to check if my phone is compatible. The link it brought up is busted... goes 404. Not OK. At all.

MandyR79

That's not a great solution. I don't even think I have one of those kicking around here, and I need data when I'm out. Granted, other than last week and a couple weeks ago, I work from home, so I don't need *much* data. But I still need it.

MandyR79

I'm in Nova Scotia, and it happened to me two or three times while on with an ISP technical support, and twice today during my psychologist phone appointment. This is not OK.

Rastin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

There seems to be some problems in BC at the moment. It only mentions data problems but it's all connected so I could see it affecting calls as well

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Mobile-Outage-s-Western-Canada-Data-Only-...

StealthOne

You aren't the only one. My wife and I are both dropping calls like crazy, even to each other (both on PM). 

Here's more complaints : https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicMobile/s/Gzds7S1Izu

smurfit
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Only solution I have found is switching sim card back to very old phone without any VOLTE capability. Samsung S5 works (forced to 3G) and old clamshell HSPA phone from 2011 works fine. Newer devices with Telus VOLTE capability result in constant dropped calls even when forced to 3G. I don't have anything that is on the Public Mobile whitelist though..

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Sixfreesbrat , it seems like this problem is rearing its ugly head on some customer accounts again.  Please initiate a support ticket using the chat symbol on the lower right corner of the webpage. 

Need Help? Let's chat.