cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clarifications of Unlimited Talk Canada-wide needed

islandking
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I purchased Unlimited Talk Canada-wide plan in Toronto (my # starting with 647), and I am planning to move to Calgary, so

1. If I want to keep my current # 647, and my Calgary friend (her # starting with 403) calls me once I am in Calgary, will she be charged as local or nation-wide call?

2. What about her texting me?

Thank you!

11 REPLIES 11

islandking
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks everybody for the detailed info, much appreciated.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@islandking  Just switch your Calgary friend to Public Mobile if she doesn't have Canada wide calling and International text as part of her current providers plan and it will be free. 🙂

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@islandking 

@islandking wrote:

I purchased Unlimited Talk Canada-wide plan in Toronto (my # starting with 647), and I am planning to move to Calgary, so

1. If I want to keep my current # 647, and my Calgary friend (her # starting with 403) calls me once I am in Calgary, will she be charged as local or nation-wide call?

Thank you!

What happens when your Calgary friend calls you or texts now?

@kb_mv 

No you were not dreaming however that option is only available upon activation.

@darlicious I seem to recall when my son was signing up his family that there was an option of putting in the last 4 digits that you would like and it would check to see if they were available. Was I dreaming?

@islandking 

If you change to a calgary number you will pay 8% less because there is no provincial sales tax in Alberta. You can take some time each morning and use the change number option in your account and see if you can get the same phone number or the same last four digits of your number. If you find something that suits you can change it. ( Changing numbers can only be done once every 30 days.)

One2Many
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi 

All said and done, I would suggest get both TO & CAL numbers (2 sim cards) and all your friends will call you locally where they live. Please ensure your phone can have 2 slot for sim cards. I did when I moved from southern to eastern Ontario 5 yrs ago when they were few mobile providers. Hope this help you as an option to consider. It may cost you a bit but you wont lose your friends. Friendship is better than $. Stay safe and keep connected virtually.

zblackma
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@islandking wrote:

It depends on her cell plan. If it also has unlimited Canada wide calling, then its free. Is it free now when she calls you?

Note all landline calls from local area codes will be long distance.

The same with texting. Depends on her plan. Is it also free for her to text you now?

Thank you!

You are welcome. You can also use google hangouts and dialer or other voip apps such as TextNow over WIFI/ Data to make calls. 

mpcdesign
Mayor / Maire

@islandking, I looked to see what other providers have such as Bell, Telus, Fido and Rogers if users are on a contract, their plans are unlimited Canada-wide or nation-wide, depending on each company working of it.

But when it comes to Pre-Paid (not including Public Mobile), the calls are normally local anytime local minutes. This means when you move to Calgary, and if your new buddy is using a Telus or Bell Pre-Paid phone, he can't call you on his/her cell phone, and they would need to call a long-distance number. Granted, they can text for free! 

I totally get it where you are coming from wanting to keep that same number from TO. Something to ponder. 

@Triguy go to sleep! 😉

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

1. Most cell plans have Canada wide calling so there should be no long distance charges.  If they don't have it included in their plan then it would be a long distance call.

2.  Domestic texts should be free if included in their plan.

Need Help? Let's chat.