cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clarification! $34 50GB 5G Canada/US Plan also $40/75GB and $50/100GB Canada/US Plans Post US Speeds

PM_5G
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Noticed many posts on the new Canada/US plans so I put together this summary for clarification as I had noticed many of the same questions being posted - I will try to keep this up to date...

02/26/2024 Plans UPDATE
$34 50GB 5G Canada/US  - Now Available to ALL Subscribers
viber_image_2024-02-27_19-15-06-441.jpg
$40/75GB 5G Canada/US
$50/100GB 5G Canada/US
Canada/US Plans do not offer Unlimited Data.
Legacy Loyalty program members retain their old program perks if they switch to these plans.

Canada/US Plan Benefits
All Canada/US Plans allow All Plan Call/Messaging/Data to be used In Canada or US to Canada or US!
Anywhere in Canada or US your are - you can use your Public Mobile Unlimited Calling/Messaging/DataPlan as if you are in your home area to Call/Message anywhere in Canada or US....
Travelling in Canada or US - No Roaming Pack is ever needed - its part of your plan! 

Promo Availability
No one knows or can predict how long plans will be available. Change to a plan you would like that is available/offered to you before your renewal date - then watch for any new plan that is offered - you can always select another plan and switch to that before renewal date...

• To Change Subsription:
    1/ Login to your account
    2/ Go To Subscriptions and Add-Ons
    3/ Click Change Subscription Box(just under your subscription info) - select from available plans - make sure to confirm your selection!

viber_image_2024-02-27_21-23-13-208.jpg

Remember switching to new plan immediately - you lose the rest of your plan validity!
If you select change plan on renewal the new plan will take affect and will be available on the day your plan renews.

Once Plan Selection is confirmed Payments Tab which will state upcoming renewal:

viber_image_2024-02-27_18-26-05-273.jpg

Current Subscription Info is now clarified!

viber_image_2024-02-27_18-55-18-831.jpg

Phone Settings

FIRST Reboot Your Phone! (Public Mobile Updates your phone's settings)
Data Roaming MUST Be Enabled(Leave it Enabled - PM is Prepaid so there are never Roaming Fees)
Network Operators - Auto
Network Mode can be switched to 5G/LTE or LTE(4G)

Android Settings Location for these settings:
Settings / Connections / Mobile Networks / Data Roaming
Settings/Connections/Network Operators - Select Automatically
Settings/Connections/Mobile Networks/Network Mode - Select 5G or LTE(4G)

My experience was Automatic Network Operator and 5G worked!
Public was shown as Carrier with an R on Signal Meter(Roaming)

Manually Selecting T-Mobile or AT&T DID NOT work for me(Got Network Not Found Error)

Some have had luck manually selecting T-Mobile or AT&T
AT&T 5G as Network Mode has not worked apparently only LTE.

Suggest popping across the border if possible to test and make sure you phone and US set up works before any big trip. It's tough to fix issues when you can't access a network but WiFi is abundant....

US/Canada Plan Sets Up / Uses / Enables VoLTE calling on US LTE/5G Networks (3G in US has been shut down)
VoLTE is Enabled by default on New Public Mobile Plans and Enable/Disable is Not Visible in settings(removed by PM)

Public Mobile is Prepaid - Does not offer Roaming anywhere other than Canada/US so you don't have worry about being charged Roaming fees even if you leave Canada/US and this setting is enabled!

Anyone currently In US using these plans...
Post your US Use / Speeds / Findings / Experiences / Valid Settings

Cheers!

50 REPLIES 50

Badly66
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

i post toi be on the plan up top bhut i am not

4star601
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Just switched and tmobile was jumping from 5G to nothing ...unworkable.  Set to LTE and ATT and am getting great service in Southern California.  180 down 40 up etc.

RyTheSweat

Ok.  This is for my son and he doesn't come close to using even 10gb but That is because we are on wifi at home.  We travel to the United States so I was wondering if this would be the better plan we believe it a shot and see how it goes. Thank you for responding.

Jedi1

The US Canada plans are not unlimited.  You do get an extra 10gb over the 40gb unlimited so if 40gb is normally enough, would you really use more than the extra 10gb you get with this plan.  There are alternative US/Can or Can only plans right now to choose from as existing clients, as well.  

RyTheSweat

Hi there, I too had signed up for the Black Friday 40GB unlimited Canada plan but since changed to the 50GB North America and didn't realize that it was no longer unlimited and throttle once you hit your set usage.  So I take it the data stops 100% so you can't even get a whatsapp message? 

Thanks 

Lorihogan

Argh… got beat by PM…

They allowed me to change early to the US/Canada but I was only one week into my cycle. So I paid the extra because the plan seemed so great. Then the next day, it was available to everyone so I wouldn’t have had to pay double after all! Annoying 

CaxtonD

Jayz1: If you've signed up for a plan, I would expect PM to honour that, despite the promo being withdrawn on March 4.

Check your 'Upcoming Subscription' as follows:

- <Log in>; wait for 'Overview' screen to load; then press the + symbol (near lower left of screen); screen should display 'Current Subscription'; scroll down for 'Upcoming Subscription'.

I would be very surprised (horrified!) if PM did not honour that contract.

Jayz1

Good grief! I just read that PM is ending their offer of "$34 - Canada/US Plan" on March 4th. I signed up for the plan a few days ago to take affect on my renewal date i.e. April 28th. Does the ending on March 4th mean that my current plan won't auto switch to the $34-Canada/US Plan on April 28th?

TejS
Good Neighbour / Bon Voisin

Regarding Pausing the subscription, yes you can pause it for upto 90 days by suspending your subscription in Payments>Manage Subscription and toggling "Subscribed" switch to off.

You won't be charged any longer & can keep your number & plan suspended for upto 90 days after which you lose both. So manually recharge within 90 days say at day 88 or 89 & your subscription is active again with same number.

TejS

You can start your new subscription right away or at the end of your billing cycle. My understanding is once you switch to a new plan you can change to any plans available at the time, if your current plan was a promo it may not be available when you are trying to switch back. I switched few days back & already I can't see my old plan when I try to change subscription.

CaxtonD

Thanks TejS.

My concern is that what happens after I get on the $34 CAN/US plan, then I 'pause' the subscription for a few weeks?

Will I be guaranteed to be able to re-subscribe to that same plan? Or will PM not allow me to do that, because the plan was a limited-time promo and which is no longer available?

TejS

Hopefully you were able to change to this plan, if not it is available till 4th March. Also you can choose to activate new subscription at the end of your billing cycle so that you are not charged again.

TejS

Hopefully you were able to change to this plan now that it is available to everyone without creating a ticket.

TejS

That's correct but if you choose change at renewal, the new plan would be effective at the end of your billing cycle so no additional charges.

PM_5G

Working US Roaming Settings - Samsung Phones

In Settings / Connections:
PM_5G_0-1709196932699.jpeg
Data Roaming - Enabled
Network Mode - 5G Auto Selected - This worked!

Network Mode Options:
PM_5G_1-1709196932727.jpeg
Option #1 : 5G/LTE  connected w/ 5G Speed (T-Mobile)
Option #2 : LTE connected 4G Speed (Better AT&T Coverage Apparantly)

Tried T-Mobile Manual Network Selection:
PM_5G_2-1709196932731.jpeg

No Service - T-Mobile Registration Failed Message:
PM_5G_3-1709196932736.jpeg

Just noticed this post that further discusses some settings for T-Mobile and AT&T although I had no luck selecting them directly - will need to do some further testing...
https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Canada-US-Plans-Does-Roaming-have-to-be-a...

VidaM

Thanks Jedi1!!!!!!!!!!!

CaxtonD

Thanks Jedi1. That's what I'm hoping is indeed the case.

But I can't find it confirmed anywhere on tha App: that an expired promo plan will still be available to me after I've paused the plan (for less than 90-days).

Can anyone point me to where this is covered in the App?

Jedi1

My understanding is that you should keep your plan as long as you turn your subscription back on before 90 days. 

CaxtonD

I am switching to the $34 CAN/US promo plan.  In a few months I am going to Europe, where I know that PM will not work; so at that time, I plan to pause my subscription for a few weeks.

Question: When I return to Canada and re-subscribe, will I be able to choose this same $34 CAN/US plan, even though it is a temporary promo plan?

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

Excellent write-up!

I have nothing to contribute - I'm essentially only commenting on it to keep it on the "most viewed" slider. 😉

Jedi1

Great post!  I just switched this evening.  Still that niggling in my head with not having unlimited but I don’t use very much data so I can’t see the cap being an issue.  I don’t go the US often but thought it would be nice to not have to worry about it when I do.  

PM_5G

Point Roberts, WA Speed Test Results
$34 50GB 5G Plan  - 5G / LTE Tower Results
5G - 250Mb/s Dn / 20 Mb/s Up - T-Mobile Tower - 200M Away
LTE -  12Mb/s Dn / 2 Mb/s Up -  T-Mobile Tower - 1KM Away(Cdn Cell Sites Overlap)

5G Screen Shots:

PM_5G_0-1709104250518.jpegPM_5G_1-1709104250535.jpeg
Download ScreenShot Taken as test ended

Jakss8w

I feel like they should release the self renewal option from the get go instead of only offering to certain existing users.

I read some existing was upright rejected when they requested to change to the new promotion plan. Then 2 days later it is offered to everyone. They should be consistent with the product that they are offering.

Priority
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@kj99 Yes the speeds are improved and both the 75GB and 100GB Plans are receiving 5G Speeds now for me.

stimber

I am just about to go from a very old 8.5gb 3g unlimited Canada-Us for $50 to the $35. same but with 50GB - this is likely stupid but I have never used 8.5GB why are all the new plans so much more massive.  5G doesn't use more data - what am I missing.  Should I be worried about changing a plan for more data (that I don't need) but for less $$?

Unclesylee

not correct, i was able to switch my existing $34 plan to the new $34 plan 50G today thru messaging with CS_Agent.

Unclesylee

Correct, i was in the same boat, switched a $34 plan to the new $34 plan thru CS_Agent.  Immediate effect, not on renewal date.

Jayz1

Thanks!

kj99

Has the speed increased now?

kj99

Has the speed improved or is it still slow in the US?

Need Help? Let's chat.