cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charged without my consent

EsterML
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello everyone,

I paid $28 for a 1 month plan with Public Mobile  in Canada. I did not set up automatic payment! And I left Canada before the month was up. Yesterday, Public Mobile used my credit card info without my authorisation to renew the $28 plan for another month. Has this happened to anyone else? It's criminal misuse of credit card details ...

9 REPLIES 9

@EsterML   Can you confirm when did you join Public Mobile? 

Depends on the time you joined, you likely have "agreed" PM to setup your account with Pre-Authorized payments

If you signed up with Public after mid-July then you did consent. Unless you logged in after sign up and turned it off. Did you? Unfortunately, with the recent system, we can't remove a credit card ourselves. But if you stop paying one way or another then the account will go into suspension. Do you wish to keep the phone number for when you return for your 2 months here? Or would you just do a whole new sign-up? I ask because you can pay once every 4 months to keep the account alive. That gives you 30 days of waste and then 90 days of suspension.

EsterML

what does this have to do with my claim fir being charged $28 without my consent? Kindly read the mails of your colleagues : the account had to be suspended in order to request a refund for the 28$ incorrectly charged.

@EsterML   You can submit a ticket via chatbot or send a private message to CS_Agent at the follow  links: 

Chatbot:  https://widget.telus.tiia.ai/publicmobile/publicmobile.html

CS_Agent:   https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Their response will appear in the message box top right and can take anywhere from one hour or upto 48 hours so keep checking your inbox regularly.

edit:  BTW if you want to keep the account, then you will need to find a way to add payments every 115 days from last payment date or around day 86 from suspended date.  Once the account has been suspended for 90 days without payment, it will deactivate and number lost.

You could use recharge.com to pay for the account during suspension if you don't want to lose it altogether.

EsterML

How do I remove my credit card - I do not want to be charged automatically every month, since I am no longer using that phone. I live in Europe and only need a PM phone two months per year.

Should I shut down the account entirely? How do I do that?

I'm not very happy about being charged automatically but I'm now into damage limitations ...

@EsterML 

Did you just join Public Mobile?  when just activated, you used your credit card , there was a box that mentioned that PM will be using the card to charge you every 30 days and there was a check box there that you have to check to complete the activation.  So, you did "agree" that when you activated

EsterML

I did not authorize automatic payments - my account shows no automatic payments. I expect a refund of 28$. The plan was a $25 plan plus taxes for unlimited calls within Canada, no add-one.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

If you signed up after mid-July then the only way to have paid was by credit card (or asking support to set up the account and then you could use vouchers). If the former then pre-authorized payments are set up automatically with all kinds of things to read to tell you that. Which, upon proceeding, would be your agreement of this. If the latter then not likely.

What $28 plan?

Meow
Mayor / Maire

Log in to your account and confirm you do not have check mark beside autopay. Sometimes it is set by default when signing up and entering credit card info. Otherwise it is highly unlikely PM charged your CC as there will nothing to trigger charge.

Meow_0-1668610017384.png

Need Help? Let's chat.