cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing plan purchased

Red
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Ok her is story.

I have changed Wife phone to Public Mobile from Virgin. Everything went well and everything works except data. I went through all help posts and everything was setup correct.

Only issue I found was when I check Phone compatibility it was only compatible with 4G which I did not purchase in package which was 3G. I am guessing that this is causing my data problem.

I want to change it to 4G 500mb but when I try to change to custom plan it wants to change me full price again for plan but I just purchase plan today that is active.

I just want to make small change from 3G to 4G and pay any difference would I take this to Moderator to do this

10 REPLIES 10

koimr1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Great! And welcome to PM! Well, your wife at least. 🙂

Red

Thank You everyone for all the suggestion.

Koimr1 and WetCoaster you were both correct.

Resolution -  Create a new APN name Public Mobile with slightly different setting than Telus. The I set phone to use the new APN and rebooted. After reboot the data started working.

Again thanks to everyone for helping with my problem.

This is the very first time that willmyphonework.net has failed me! 😮

The fact that the phone has worked on Virgin, and most of the specs I found suggest that LTE bands 4 and 7 are supported, points to an issue in APN settings as mentioned by @Luddite, @koimr1 and @PJC.

I'm not sure if you have rebooted the phone yet? Often that helps.

You could also take a screen shot of your active Public Mobile APN settings (black out any personal info, if applicable) - sometimes a "second" set of eyes might spot a typo that we overlook.

koimr1

Ok Amazon shows a different set of specs which might explain why you are getting voice:

Acer Liquid Z410 Quad-Core Smartphone

Check the previous links and ensure you are using PM's APN and NOT Telus'. 🙂

Final test would be using the PM SIM in another unlocked phone.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

koimr1

Make sure the APN is correct for PM, not Telus: Public Mobile APN

Yes, I know it's the same network but they use different APNs.

That seems really strange that voice calls work (which I presume you mean when you say "phone") and yet it's not compatible with 3G - PM uses 3G for voice calling. Hmmm. By any chance are there different variants of it? Just seems strange, I am more used to seeing phones (in Canada) that don't have LTE as opposed to not having 3G.

Band 7-only is going to be a bit limiting, to be honest.

@Red OK the website https://willmyphonework.net does say that. Something is happening beyond my knowledge. This article by PM reiterates that phone calls use 3G: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/LTE-to-3g-when-calling/ta-p/90691.

So, only data will work and only on Band 7 which does not have much coverage.

Basically you need a different phone.

Red

Her phone is Acer - Liquid Z410 - Android 4.4.4

I did make sure that APN is correct for Telus as that is what phone says it is connected.

Phone and SMS work fine and Wireless network works fine at my house.

When I looked up Phone model compatibility it says

Carrier - Canada Public Mobile and says the same for Telus

2G - Carrier does not support

3G - Device not compatible

4G - A green check mark with - Band7-2600MHz

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

The 3G data plans actually run on LTE as well as 3G so that is not the issue. Sometimes it is simply a weak LTE signal and setting the phone to 3G only, helps.

Also, if calling works you are connecting to the 3G network as that carries all calls and texts.

Confirm your data settings: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Setting-up-Data-APN-on-your-phone/ta-p...

PJC
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

What phone does your wife use? I don't believe the plan is the issue as for the majority of the time, if the phone supports 4G/LTE, it should also support 3G. And judging from the fact that your wife migrated from Virgin, the phone should have no problem.

Have you double checked that the APN settings have been updated? Here is a link with instructions and Public Mobile's APN settings:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/How-do-I-set-up-data-APN-on-my-smartp...

Need Help? Let's chat.