cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change order of eSIM, or factory reset without paying for eSIM again?

k-e-c
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

As the title says, I have two numbers from Public Mobile, I installed my primary eSIM first, and my second primarily work number after. For whatever reason it looks like after I installed my work number it pushed my primary number into "Slot 2" not Google Messages is calling my primary eSIM "2" and my secondary "1". How do I fix this? Google is suggesting a factory reset... which means I need to buy eSIMs again since Public Mobile charges for them and won't let you re-install them. How the heck can I fix this?

12 REPLIES 12

k-e-c

Alright, I'll give it a whirl

@k-e-c 

the app might be able to see you already have one before and remove the $5 charges at the final payment step

but again, if it did charge you, ask support for reimbursement

k-e-c

So, I just looked in the app, and if I click "new sim" and select eSIM it says it'll cost $5. I guess then I need to ask support for reimbursement then if I want to try this?

@k-e-c yes, esim is one time install.  So, if the one currently being used is deleted, you need to get a replacement one

With PM, as long as you have a first one , the subsequent replacement esim are free.  As said, the app might not be smart sometimes and still charging you.  Let it charge and you can ask for reimbursement as it said clearly on the link above that esim replacements are free

k-e-c

Oh, weird, when you're installing it, it says explicitly "you cannot re-install an eSIM", so the first one is $5 and every one after that in the same account is free? Okay that's not so bad. I think I can totally fix this again by re-installing the eSIM from my primary number.

@k-e-c 

rebuying esim is free

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/get-a-sim-card

Existing eSIM users at Public Mobile who need a replacement can do so at no extra cost. When you request a new eSIM through the usual process, we automatically identify you as an existing eSIM user and waive the replacement fee. See below for steps on how to get your new eSIM.

In rare case that PM charges you for the replacement esim, you can submit a ticket with PM support and ask them for reimbursement

k-e-c

Right, but eSIMs cost $5, they aren't free, do they look free on your account? I was a little irked that they were $5... seems like if I ever need to reset my phone, I have to pay to do that now to get a new eSIM.

k-e-c

Yeah, I have the SIM I want set as defaults, but for some reason its... in like "slot" 2, so Messages sees it as "2". It's still the default for SMS. Google support is telling me I need to go to my carrier to change which IEMI each eSIM is associated to. I could wipe my phone and just install them in the reverse order... but I'm confused on how the heck I can do that without losing my eSIMs and having to buy new ones.

k-e-c

They aren't under the same account, there are under two different accounts. They didn't overwrite, they are both there, and active, it just seems weird the 2nd one I setup isn't SIM2.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@k-e-c 

Unfortunately, you can’t have 2 accounts under 1 registered email…Only 1 account/1 email address.

It looks like the secondary number over ride the primary number. 
You will need to login out of one account and login to the other account.

If you just want to switch the primary number with the secondary number location. It would be in your phone settings.

LitlLdy
Mayor / Maire

@k-e-c wrote:

As the title says, I have two numbers from Public Mobile, I installed my primary eSIM first, and my second primarily work number after. For whatever reason it looks like after I installed my work number it pushed my primary number into "Slot 2" not Google Messages is calling my primary eSIM "2" and my secondary "1". How do I fix this? Google is suggesting a factory reset... which means I need to buy eSIMs again since Public Mobile charges for them and won't let you re-install them. How the heck can I fix this?

@k-e-c , I don’t know how it looks on a different phone, mine is an iPhone but on mine I have the option under cellular settings to select which line I want as the default voice line plus I have the option under SIMs of renaming the SIMs to what I want so I know which ones they are as in one renamed as Work. Also, before making a call using the dialler or text message I can select which line I want to use each time.
You don’t need to purchase another eSIM. We just need someone to respond that has eSIMs / SIMs on a phone similar to yours (not iPhone) to tell you where those options are.

slusagm
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

you don't have to worry about losing the eSIM, you can get a new one for free 

just make sure you can login My Account using email to receive 2FA.  Once firmed,you can reset the phone. Then download the PM app, use email to receive 2FA to login,  and then go to Profile page to order a new esim

Need Help? Let's chat.