cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change of service provider, and then change back... will sim card still work?

aalesber
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

If I changed my phone service provider and then decided I want to change back to Public Mobile, can I reactivate the same sim card, or would I have to buy a new one? 

4 REPLIES 4

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@aalesber 

The answer to this question entirely depends on whether:

1. you ported your number out from public mobile and
  2. whether it has been more than 90 days since you have had active service here.

If you did not port your number and you are within 90 days of having service, your public mobile account can still be reactivated.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@aalesber wrote:

If I changed my phone service provider and then decided I want to change back to Public Mobile, can I reactivate the same sim card, or would I have to buy a new one? 

@aalesber -

If you mean go to another provider and activate with a new number, then you'd essentially have two accounts.

In this case, your Public Mobile account would close automatically after 90 days in nonpay/suspended status. Unless you kept a registered card on the account for Autopay to keep going.

To keep it alive, but at minimal costs, change it to the lowest $15 plan, and continue to let it go into suspended status, but just make sure to pay again before the 90 days is up. "Rinse, and repeat."

That is, if you really want to keep this PM account.

If you mean transfer your Public Mobile out to another provider, then yes, as others posted...you cannot reuse/reactivate a SIM from a closed account.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@aalesber 

Sorry, once you ported away from PM then your account and SIM are closed.

You can pick a PM SIM on sale for $3 at Canadian Cell Supplies online right now!

BeachNBeer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@aalesber  Nope you'll have to buy a new sim. Also if you been with PM for awhile all rewards you earned/loyalty will be gone as account is deleted. And when you join back PM has new points system that you will be on where you don't get any real savings like the old rewards system. Example no more $2 discount for auto-pay. And no you can't join back on old Rewards system.

Need Help? Let's chat.