cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change new number to current number with old provider

Dlori123
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I just activated my sons sim card and it wouldn’t allow me to keep his current cell number. 
So In order to move through the process I just picked a number. Is there a way to get his original number and yes I still have his account with other provider activated.

7 REPLIES 7

@computergeek541 wrote:

Based on CO Code Status for NPA 807 (cnac.ca) , you're pretty much stuck with Rogers Wireless, Bell Mobility, Tbaytel for cell phone service if you need a local number. You do have the option of keeping that phone number from a different city that you chose on Public Mobile, but others who try to call you might have to pay for long distance if they're calling you from Fort Frances. 

Indeed Telus does not have a presence in Fort Frances - But I did see Iristel there, which means many VoIP providers probably have access to numbers there. Based on that, I checked with voip.ms, and indeed they currently show 156 807-787 and 807-788 numbers for Fort Frances, and should be able to port in a number from there.

So... another idea is you could sign up with Public Mobile with a local number "nearby" and use a service such as this to continue to keep your old number for about $1 per month and forward calls for a few cents per minute. In the future if Telus ever does establish a presence there, you could still port it directly into PM.

@Dlori123 wrote:

Fort frances ont

i wondered that because we are not an option when picking a location 

That would appear to be why then. If Telus Mobility/Public Mobile doesn't offer numbers for Fort Frances, a number from there unfortunately cannot be ported in. Sorry.

Based on CO Code Status for NPA 807 (cnac.ca) , you're pretty much stuck with Rogers Wireless, Bell Mobility, Tbaytel for cell phone service if you need a local number. You do have the option of keeping that phone number from a different city that you chose on Public Mobile, but others who try to call you might have to pay for long distance if they're calling you from Fort Frances. 

Dlori123
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Fort frances ont

i wondered that because we are not an option when picking a location 

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@Dlori123  Port-in eligibility

You can use this link for quick check for mobile numbers: https://secure.koodomobile.com/checktransfereligibilityparrot/default.do?lang=en&appname=otherportal

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@Dlori123 wrote:

I just activated my sons sim card and it wouldn’t allow me to keep his current cell number. 
So In order to move through the process I just picked a number. Is there a way to get his original number and yes I still have his account with other provider activated.

When you say that it wouldn't let you, do you mean that it gave you an error message that the number isn't eligible?  Not all numbers can be ported to all carriers. Both carriers involved must both offer phone numbers for that same city for that to be possible. Which city is the phone number from?

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Dlori123 

Welcome to PM and enjoy your saving with PM>

After created support ticket and waiting for moderator to port your number.  Monitor text message from your old provider to confirm your port request and reply YES. Otherwise, old old provider will not release your old number to PM.

FYI: Number porting is a 2 stage process:
Stage 1. After submitted your porting request, PM set up your old number on your PM account. Login to your account. Select the [Plan and Add-Ons] tab. Is your old number showing on the [Plan and Add-Ons] page?
If yes, PM has done its work to setup your old number for you to call out, send text and data.
If no, you should create a support ticket for moderator to investigate. Moderator wait time is from couple of hours to couple of days.

Stage 2. Now, you are waiting for your old provider to release your number to PM. Not until your old provider release your number, all the incoming calls and texts will continue to go to your old provider. You can continue to use the old provider SIM card until it stops working which is the indication that your number was released to PM.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Dlori123 

Yes, you can ask moderator to help with porting over.  You will need the previous carrier account number, account holder name and phone number.

To contact moderator via 2 methods:

1. Ticketing system - faster response time

Click on the blue chat bubble icon on the right lower corner of website to start ticketing process to contact moderator.  Type: port request. Follow the prompts to submit ticket.  

or

2 Send a private message to moderator through the following link :

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Here is some more information about porting:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/port-fraud-protection

Need Help? Let's chat.