cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change IMEI Associated with Account

Watoko
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the IMEI that is tied to our PM accounts. A bit of background, I had my iPhone 6 ported from Koodo to PM, and that phone's IMEI is linked to my account I presume, through the port request. Fast forward a couple months, I have a brand new phone, and I have given my iPhone 6 to my mom, who is also on the PM network.

Recently, I contacted a mod to get the iPhone 6 unlocked, as she will be travelling this summer. I was asked to provide the phone's IMEI as well as my mom's account number, which I did. However, PM said that the phone's IMEI and account number do not match. I was told it is "currently active on another account". I suspected that perhaps the phone's IMEI is still currently linked to my own account, so I asked the mod to check under my account. Lo and behold, it is. I was able to get my mom's phone unlocked through providing funds on my account, despite her SIM card being active on the phone.

So my question is: is there a way to change the IMEI that is associated with the PM account, because clearly it doesn't automatically update? There is no option to on self-serve, and when I further posed this question to a mod through private message, I was just left ignored. This would be important if I wanted to unlock my new phone through PM.

Thanks!

26 REPLIES 26

If SIM is active why do you need to change IMEI number?

You could leave a totally wrong number there it has no effect on your service

@Dadsphone1 wrote:

how do I contact moderators?

I'll ask again if you tried to port a number over.  Otherwise, there is no need to link an IMEI to your account, and the activation procedure doesn't require an IMEI to be entered.  If you didn't request a number to be ported in, the compability checker doesn't do anything to your account and doesn't even need to be used.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Dadsphone1 wrote:

Click on the quote bubble lower right and muddle your way through the chatbot to Submit ticket.

Edit: I think I need more coffee.

@Dadsphone1 wrote:

@Dadsphone1 

You can contact the mods one of 2 ways. Click the question mark bottom right of the browser as shown in the picture and open a ticket through the automated ticketing system;

kevenv_2-1599233493879.png

or you can contact them through direct messaging at the following link (note this way may take longer for a response);

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

In either case you should receive a reply within 48 hours though typically they are much faster. Watch the envelope icon top right for a reply.

@Dadsphone1 wrote:

@Dadsphone1 

contact a moderator you can do so by clicking the bubble circle at the lower right corner,to avoid going around in circles with Simon say that you want a human to speak to, a ticket will then be generated briefly mention your issue 

you should get a response between 2 to 48 hours a reply should show up in your little envelope in the top right corner 

Dadsphone1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Dadsphone1 wrote:

The Sim card is newly activated. After I activated the sim card, I realized I typed an extra 1 as the IMEI number for my phone. I need to correct the IMEI number associated with my activated SIM card. Please advise how to do this?

Are you talking about transferring (porting) your number from a different provider? If so then you'll need to contact the moderators.

Dadsphone1

The Sim card is newly activated. After I activated the sim card, I realized I typed an extra 1 as the IMEI number for my phone. I need to correct the IMEI number associated with my activated SIM card. Please advise how to do this?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Dadsphone1 wrote:

I need to change the IMEI number associated with my activated SIM. How do I do this, so my SIM works in my new phone?

All you need to do is move the SIM over to the new phone.

Of course the phone needs to be unlocked and compatible with this place.

And you might need to have a different size of the tri-punch SIM. Hopefully you kept your original parts if you have to go up in size. Otherwise you can "punch" out the smaller size.

@Dadsphone1  take sim out of old phone and put it in new phone that is unlocked and has PM ban frequencies and you're good to go.

Dadsphone1

I need to change the IMEI number associated with my activated SIM. How do I do this, so my SIM works in my new phone?

@Luddite wrote:

OMG I leave for 3 weeks and individual moderators are subsumed into the "Mod Team"! Resistance is futile. Robot wink

@Luddite careful that is offensive Cat Surprised

Watoko

@TheOldVR wrote:

With that said it might take a couple of hours, or even a full night for the IMEI to update.

This would make sense, however I forgot to include in my original post that I've transferred the phone over to my mom for 1 month now. Therefore, it should ideally have been automatically updated, but hasn't.

Have not swapped SIM cards in my old phone and new phone since then either, so it could not have been that my SIM card was used last on her phone.

TheOldVR

Wow - I must be really missing out on the good news around here...

Love the idea of the @CS_Agent tag... great idea!

Regarding the original question, I am with the several posts asking you to swap the sim card that you want the account associated with in to your phone. With that said it might take a couple of hours, or even a full night for the IMEI to update.

Good luck!

OMG I leave for 3 weeks and individual moderators are subsumed into the "Mod Team"! Resistance is futile. Robot wink

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

IWIK
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville
I guess I've been out of the loop, didn't realize PM was providing unlocking services now. Very cool. Thanks

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

To unlock their device, as their IMEI must be attached to their PM account @IWIK

Mary

IWIK
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville
Just curious, why would someone want this information?

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Yes we can - let me just clarify - the device you want unlocked needs to be the last device associated to your SIM card 🙂

Send me a private message with your phone number!

Mary

Watoko

Hey Mary,

Is it possible that we check the current IMEIs that is associated with my mom's and my own account?

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Yes, we like it too 🙂

And it really is as simple as inserting the SIM in the device - the backend will recognize the sim associated to the IMEI. Please let me know if you need any assistance with unlocking your device 🙂

You can also check out the eligibility criteria for unlocking a device with us - http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Unlocking-Your-Phone/ta-p/5237

Cheers,

Mary

Watoko

Oooh, I like this new @CS_Agent tag.

I would think it is as simple as inserting the SIM card, but my recent experience with unlocking a phone has told me otherwise! It seems that my old phone is still linked to my account, despite another PM SIM card in the old phone, and my own SIM card in my new phone.

Again, I am confident this is the case because I had to pay the unlocking fee through my account even when the phone is currently active on another PM SIM card (and therefore another PM account).

I just want to confirm if this is a known glitch, and if it can be fixed in my situation.

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hey @Watoko,

Thank you for reaching out to us!

In order to associate the IMEI in question to the account you want, all you have to do is insert your PM SIM card (attached to the account you need) in the device you want to have unlocked. The SIM should automatically associate to the IMEI 🙂

I hope this helps,

Mary

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Someone_here wrote:
There are only 3 options to act on one's account:
- Selfserve: doesn't have the option to do what you want;
- Contacting the mods: I would try again;
- Using the "Contact us" form from the website: not sure how different is it from contacting the mods but might be worth trying if you are ignored in the Community.

@Someone_here

Contacting moderators by private message, though not perfect, is far more reliable than using the "Contact Us" form.  From what I've seen, time and again, help requests sent through the contact us form often go ignored, to the extent that I would not rely on it, even though it issues ticket numbers.  I recall even reading a comment once on this forum that the contact us form might be discontinued as a help channel (no longer monitored), though I'm not sure how accurate that was.

Someone_here
Mayor / Maire
There are only 3 options to act on one's account:
- Selfserve: doesn't have the option to do what you want;
- Contacting the mods: I would try again;
- Using the "Contact us" form from the website: not sure how different is it from contacting the mods but might be worth trying if you are ignored in the Community.

Samianauman
Mayor / Maire

@Watoko

I think you try with mod dept maybe they can help you out since self serve doesn't offer a option to change phone or update device imei option 

** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**
Need Help? Let's chat.