cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cellphone Unlocking Suggestions

ellenyw
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Does anyone have trustworthy unlocking services other than carriers for iPhone 5? I am under Virgin/Bell and am looking into my options. There are a lot of online options but I don't know which ones are successful/trustworthy, would love to hear any stories you guys have!

14 REPLIES 14

I agree with eBay, most Android phones can be unlocked the same day for $5-$10.

But it's not an option with iPhones; they are not unlocked with user-entered unlock code(s), they are unlocked with carrier-entered unlock code(s) submitted to the GSMA registry.  Most eBay vendors do not (and can not) subscribe to this service, and the few who do are unable to override carrier-imposed lockouts which are based on non-technical (legal) details.

craigroxborough
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I too have used ebay with great success on multiple phones. I usually just search the name of the phone, the carrier, and unlock code. So for example recently I searched "HTC M8 Bell Mobility Unlock Code" and found a sale for $4.04 after the exchange rate. The seller was great and I had my phone unlocked in minutes.

I would recommend ebay to everyone, just check out the sellars ratings and their instructions to ensure you're getting what you need. They are usually pretty helpful as I suspect they are making money by doing volume sales, so they want your business.

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@ellenyw

Your best option is probably to purchase the iPhone unlock straight from your carrier (here) for $50 plus taxes.  Your device must be fully paid out (ie, your contract must have reached end of term and you now fully own the iPhone) and it cannot be registered as lost/stolen and your account must be in good standing. It is the law and your carrier must comply.

Yes, I was a little lucky with the sale occurring exactly when I needed it (after being stalled for two months by Rogers).  If you are willing to wait a month or three then your odds of finding a similar sale are promising - especially if you can also find a coupon/promo code - but if you're forced to wait longer before scoring a good deal then it'll cost you less overall to just pay the higher price now and pay the lower service prices with your new carrier <ahem! Public Mobile> over upcoming months.

JMCD
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I've used eBay for android phones. I paid $6 for an LG G2 unlock and $3 for a Moto G code. Both took about an hour to receive.

I used to unlock iPhones myself when that was an actual possibility through Cydia and jailbreaking. Ultrasn0w!

choco
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@Korth wrote:

I purchased these unlocks on sale ($12 each, as I recall), but prices vary.  

You got a bargin then.  According to the current site it's $124.99.

I've used Protech Parts to unlock several Rogers iPhone 4 models.  The only downside was the need to temporarily pollute my computers with Apple iTunes software during the actual unlock/activation procedure.

I purchased these unlocks on sale ($12 each, as I recall), but prices vary.  Unlock cost is one detail where iPhones lose big vs Android devices, and (in my experience) Rogers Wireless is the most hostile carrier you can attempt to escape from, they are extremely reluctant to lose customers and will say or do anything (right up to the regulatory limits) to stall or impede the unlock process.

kutzki
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Oh man. Well, for iPhones it appears that carrier is the way to go $50 is cheap for an iPhone unlock. Ebay is the place to go for any Android device. You won't be spending more than $20 (Usually under $15) for any devices, newer models or otherwise. I personally have unlocked a Moto G for $10 and a Samsung S5 for the same price using Ebay. Worked flawlessly and now my mum has a nice S5 to work with. 🙂

ellenyw

Haha yup, thank you for the warm welcome! 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@ellenyw glad to hear you were able to complete this step easily.  Is it too soon to say Welcome to Public Mobile yet?  🙂

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

ellenyw

I've decided to go with carrier just because it's fast and easy. I called Virgin Mobile and they were able to do it in a second! A little pricey but it's safe and guaranteed.

Feel free to continue posting websites or services that you've used and maybe other members can benefit! 🙂

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@ellenyw wrote:

Hi @weibee

The site (mobileincanada.com) seems to offer unlocking for iPhone for higher prices ($105) than carriers offer ($50).

@weibee yeah, that's not a nice price!!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

ellenyw

Hi @weibee

The site (mobileincanada.com) seems to offer unlocking for iPhone for higher prices ($105) than carriers offer ($50).

ellisd

I have used a few sellers on ebay to do my wife's Galaxy S5 and my Xperia Z3. Both cost me about 12 dollars CAD each. For iPhones I know they are always more pricey so I can't recommend an iPhone unlocking service but let me know if you want to see the sellers I used. 

Got my codes within 12 hours both times.

weibee
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have used this site 4 times. mobileincanada.com

They have been reliable and you get your unlock code within a day tops. Usually sends the code within 8-12 hours. I have unlocked HTC One M7, iPhone 5S, Samsung Galaxy S4, and Galaxy Note 4. All have been successful and had no problems using them with Koodo, Fido, and now Public Mobile.

Hope this helps a bit. I have also unlocked a couple of phones at kiosks in Square One and Eaton Centre. They have been reliable, but their prices are usually more than what you can find online.

Need Help? Let's chat.