cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Careful when you open a new account.

lukevader
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I'm sharing an experience. I opened up a new $25 PM account and did a speed test right away. LOL, big mistake!! Apparantly when you get a new account your plans not throttled for the first couple of days. I did one speed test and got 299mbps DL (amazing) and it used about 525MB doing it. 

I truly believe having speeds of around 3 only help people on the small data plans here. 😉

8 REPLIES 8

yanzhiqiang
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Thank you very much!

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@yanzhiqiang wrote:

I am new too, My phone shows 4G not 3G.

If you have a 3G plan, you will get full 3G speed and LTE/4G with speed capped at 3Mbps.

If your phone is set to auto 3G/LTE, your phone will auto select 3G or LTE depending nearby 3G or LTE signal strength.

lukevader

@yanzhiqiang wrote:

Oh don't get them started, they'll all start quoting stuff at you.

To summarize it's still 4G connection just throttled to 3G speeds. 

yanzhiqiang

lukevader

... oh brother ...

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@lukevader wrote:

I'm sharing an experience. I opened up a new $25 PM account and did a speed test right away. LOL, big mistake!! Apparantly when you get a new account your plans not throttled for the first couple of days. I did one speed test and got 299mbps DL (amazing) and it used about 525MB doing it. 

I truly believe having speeds of around 3 only help people on the small data plans here. 😉

@lukevader 

Yes, this is known behaviour since the 3G plans were introduced. The delay in the throttle is noted here in the help article, under Comon Data questions:
https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/differences-between-3g-and-4g-lte

Alan K recently elaborated about the delayed throttle:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/UPDATED-10-ready-made-plan-staying-for-...

And yes, speedtesting takes advantage of higher available speeds to download/upload larger file sizes, likely to improve the accuracy of the test.

cellphoneuser1
Mayor / Maire

@lukevader wrote:

Those speed tests are set to for fixed amount of time. They use more if the spend is faster. You get LTE speed for a couple days.

sunflowershine

@lukevader Welcome to PM!

Need Help? Let's chat.