cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot use 5g

AshtonCable32
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have an S20 FE 5G Canadian model and cannot use 5g as it doesn't even show up as an option when I put in my sim. All it shows is up to LTE. As far as I know my phone should work just fine with public mobile. Any ideas?

19 REPLIES 19

abarouni2023

Yes, the public mobile network does not support VOLTE and 5G on Samsung S20 FE 5G. Switch to other carriers. I switched to Freedom Mobile and their network supports VOLTE and 5G on this device. 

AshtonCable32

5g service is available in my area with basically every carrier. I live in The Annapolis Valley in Nova Scotia. It's gotta be something weird going on with Samsung devices like mine as Ive seen this sort of issue posted several times. I may just switch back to my iPhone 11 even though it doesn't support 5g, at least I know my cell service will work fine and not require any tinkering

@AshtonCable32 

5G should be available in most areas by now...could be odd pockets of LTE or 4G networks...where are you located generally ?

AshtonCable32

I cannot try that unfortunately. I may just switch back to using my iPhone 11 as my main phone from my Samsung. It doesn't support 5g but it may just be better for me. 

AshtonCable32

Ive had a 5g plan pretty much since they were released

@hairbag1- A while ago computergeek541 corrected me saying that there is no longer a delay on changing plans. Maybe there actually is in reality?

@AshtonCable32 

clipped from PM Help Files..." If you’ve recently changed to a subscription with a different data speed it may take up to 48 hours until the speed change kicks in. "

Do you have anyone near you with a 5G phone? Like a newer iphone? If so then try your sim in their phone and see if it connects to 5G and then do a speedtest there. Although changing sims in and out of an iphone can be a bit messy. I call this place Public MFi Mobile. Seems just about any modern iphone can do everything here but very limited with non-iphone.

AshtonCable32

I've noticed my speeds are usually around that amount even if I have full LTE connection. 

Screenshot_20231114_184334_Chrome.png

Yeah that's not great for what you're paying for. But again, you should be able to get 5G speeds even on the 4G network. Other than wasting some data, can you try a different server or different testing site?

AshtonCable32

https://www.speedtest.net/result/a/9700154082 that's my speed test results

AshtonCable32

I'll give that a shot.

@Abheer wrote:

So I did some digging, and I found out that this issue is common for S20. If you really really want to have 5G show up, I did find a thread which could fix that 
https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Samsung-s20-5G/td-p/1043088

@Abheer , I was just about to post that! 👏🏻 😃 

Abheer
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

So I did some digging, and I found out that this issue is common for S20. If you really really want to have 5G show up, I did find a thread which could fix that 
https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Samsung-s20-5G/td-p/1043088

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

This seems to be a known problem with this phone (and others). Having a 5G plan does really need a 5G network. Plans here are all about speed. Do a speedtest and see what speed you get. If you're getting over 100mbps and less then 250 then you're good.

AshtonCable32

That's all I see

387484476_1289171335118114_161843390615793650_n.jpg

Abheer

There is a setting in Samsung phones to set your preferred network, see if 5G is an option on it.

AshtonCable32

Yes it is up to date and I also do have a 5G plan

Abheer

Hi @AshtonCable32S
Is your phone up to date to the latest software update? And there is a setting in Samsung phones to set your preffered network, see if 5G is an option on it.

Need Help? Let's chat.