cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Transfer from Public Mobile To Another Service Provider

Keren16816
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am transferring my Public Mobile Number To Another Service Provider. I did receive an SMS text message on 11Sep2022 that reads as follows: Public Mobile message: We’ve received a request to transfer this phone number to another service provider. To approve this request, please reply “Yes”. If you did not request this transfer, please reply “No”. Please note that you must respond within 90 minutes. If we don’t receive a response within this time, the request will be automatically cancelled. For any issues with this number transfer, contact our Porting Team. Thank you.

I replied "yes" immediately on 11Sep2022 and activated the new SIM card from other service provider on 15Sep2022. The transfer should have been completed within 20 mins but unsuccessful after 10+ hours. I have kept my Public SIM inside my cell phone to wait for the signal to go off, but it still says Public mobile. I cannot receive CMS messages or phone calls anymore but can still use Public data. I called the new service provider and they told me my new SIM has been activated. They believe I should contact Public to cancel the service. I then tried to get help from this Public website but had issues signing in. I managed to post this but not sure if I will be able to see the replies

Can you help me cancel the service? Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4

Keren16816

Thank you for the explanation. The new provider is Virgin.

I can still sign in my PM account, but the I cannot receive phone calls or CMS text messages when I use my PM SIM card. So I cannot reply "Yes" to anyone. 😅 But when I use the Virgin SIM card, I can receive phone calls and  text messages, Would it work if I reply "yes" using the Virgin SIM card? 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Keren16816 

Can you log into your public mobile account? If it does not recognize your login credentials tnen your account is closed and your port request completed as far as Public mobile's concerned as your account will automatically be canceled and close when your port is successful.

If you can log into your self service account with public mobile then your port request was not successful. This could be due to your new provider putting in the port request before you activated the SIM card which was 4 days later. A provider can schedule a port request with a certain time and date but usually that wouldn't exceed more than 24 hours.

Try calling your phone number. Does it go to public mobile voicemail? Or the new providers a voicemail? Or does the call get dropped or you get an error message?

Since it does appear that public mobile released your number after you replied yes to the PAT (porting authorization text) the issue seems to be the fact that they released the phone number before you had an active account for it to be released to...?

While you can contact customer support at public mobile generally in these circumstances it is up to the new provider to provide the support to correct your porting issue. Contact your new providers reporting department and ask for an update on your port request and they will inform you as to why your port is stuck or failed whichever it is and they will give you the options that are available to you to correct whatever the issue is? But it sounds to me as though your port has failed and you or rather your new provider needs to make a new porting request with public mobile and you would have to keep the Public Mobile SIM card in your phone to reply YES to the PAT.

I think it's simply a case of too much time passing between the time of the port request you replying YES and then it taking 4 days for you to get your sim card to be able to activate the account so the port while you approved it has failed due to too much time passing. Make sure your pm account has not suspended during this time and your pm service is still active before you contact your new provider to re-initiate a new port request.

If you provide the name of your new provider I can probably provide you with their porting department's phone number.

Keren16816

Thank you.

The new provider did request porting first on 11Sep2022 and that's why I received the CMS message from PM. I received the new SIM card on 15Sep2022, then I activated it same day. When I use the new SIM, I got the full normal service. Seems like the phone# is with both the new provider and PM, just not full normal service with PM which is odd and needs to stop. Thank you.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Keren16816 wrote:

I replied "yes" immediately on 11Sep2022 and activated the new SIM card from other service provider on 15Sep2022. The transfer should have been completed within 20 mins but unsuccessful after 10+ hours. I have kept my Public SIM inside my cell phone to wait for the signal to go off, but it still says Public mobile. I cannot receive CMS messages or phone calls anymore but can still use Public data. I called the new service

@Keren16816   the dates do not sound right. 

You should activate first with the new provider, then request porting, then you will receive PM text 

Why would you have the text on Sept 11 but you then activate new sim card on Sept 15?

If your phone number not ported completely over to your new provider, DO NOT cancel your PM service.  Only Active account can be ported.  If you cancel or suspend your account first, your number cannot be ported

You can open ticket with PM support and confirm if they got your YES reply and if they complete the porting request by  passing  your number to your new provider.  Please open ticket using one of the two methods below:

1. If you have access to My account: At https://publicmobile.ca/chatbot.

Start by typing "Submit a ticket", then click "Contact Us", Then click "Other", then click "Click here to submit a ticket ↗" 

2. If you don't have access to My Account or have trouble with Chatbot: Private message CS Agent at: 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

**Monitor your Community inbox (envelope icon on the top right) after the ticket is opened.  CS Agent will reply you there

Need Help? Let's chat.