cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canada-Wide & US Plan Features

JeffG
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am considering leaving FIDO and signing up for the Public Mobile :

Canada-Wide & US plan with Global text & 4 gig data. 

I have a few questions :

1) If I leave my home province for another Canadian province will the phone work or do I need an add on ?

2) If I am in the USA will the phone work ? 

3) Will the sim card work with in the IPhone 6 and 6+ ?

4) How many voicemails are included ?

5) Is there call display incldued ? 

6) Is there 3 way calling included ?

7) Can I hotspot off the data ?

22 REPLIES 22

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Hamtini,

With a province-wide plan, you won't be able to call the US.  To do that, you would need to purchase a long distance add-on.  They are available in two choices:  200 minutes for $8, or 400 minutes for $15.  The minutes do not expire, and stay on your account until you use them up (or until you close the account).

To use your phone in the USA, you will need to purchase some different add-on(s) (depending on the service(s) you want available).  For more info, please see here:  http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Learn-all-about-US-Roaming/ta-p/75772

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Hamtini
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin
If I have province plan can I call a us number?

If I decide to go for nation wide and us planand I was in USA can I use my phone there?

Rockdaddy22
I'm curious to hear the solution 🙂

Shazia_K
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey @JeffG

I have already replied to your private message yesterday, if you consult it, it will give you the exact procedures. 

I am sure our awesome members will also reply here. 🙂

Thanks,

Shazia

* Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum.

JeffG

i signed up or PM and now i am in the usa. my voicemail was working when i was in canada but now i can not remotely get my messages. the recording says that i need to access the VM from my phone yet that is not possible as i am in the usa... ideas ?

JeffG
i signed up or PM and now i am in the usa. my voicemail was working when i was in canada but now i can not remotely get my messages. the recording says that i need to access the VM from my phone yet that is not possible as i am in the usa... ideas ?

srlawren

@JeffG welcome to the Public Mobile community!  I think you've gotten answers to everything on your list, but if you have any further questions or concerns, don't hesitate to ask.  If you know anyone in your area that's on the Telus Mobility network, ask them about about dead spots, coverage issues, dropped calls, as you should expect the same level of network service, as PM is owned by Telus and operates on their 3G+4G/LTE network.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

neo911
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi @JeffG

yes, you have 'call forwarding' option on PM. I created a Fongo account in case I have to travel to the US and I forwarded all my calls from existing number to the new fongo number. I tested it and it was working fine.

I have used Fido and Wind prior to PM. I can safely say PM is the best. Check out my earlier post about PM coverage in Downtown Toronto.

At this pricepoint, it's almost impossible to get any other service and also this kind of coverage.

You can surely shift to PM unless you travel to the US a lot because PM does not have roaming and that might be a problem.

Cheers !

Rockdaddy22
I live near Barrie and I've never had a problem 🙂

JeffG

Also can you ' call forward ' on public mobile ? 

TroyDaBes

@JeffG the quality is pretty much Telus. So, the quality and speed of data is great. Yeah, I'm definitely happy with Public Mobile. The price I'm currently paying right now is impossible to get in GTA. I hope the plans are here to stay 🙂

Jonavin

Since iPhone 6, all models of iPhones (including 5SE) work with all networks in Canada. However, your phone may be locked to FIDO. In this case you will need to unlock it (contact FIDO for a permenant unlock code, fee may apply). After unlock, you can use it on nearly any carrier in the world.

JeffG

@kav2001c @4siu @TroyDaBes @ute1978 Thanks for the feedback and information. Very helpful... Wondering about call quality and speed ? Have you been happy with PM ? Drop calls ? Dead spots ? trouble hearing ? slow internet ? etc ... 

JeffG

Great thanks @Rockdaddy22. Have you noticed any change in the quality of the cell service ? ie are there any drop calls ? dead spots ? poor audio etc ... I live in Downtown Toronto and on Fido I do notice lots of quality issues and am almost always on 3 G not 4 G or LTE... Thoughts ? 

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

@JeffG & @Rockdaddy22 assuming system never changed after Telus takeover we used to be allowed 25 voice mails (so not same as the mini 3 voice mail system you see commonly). They also hold voice mails for longer number of days

As you can notice from responses, most users have no idea since noone ever maxes out their box Cat Surprised

It is plenty of space; only Videotron offers a better system in Canada for prepay plans

4siu

Tested. Both data and voice are  work on iphone 6+,

TroyDaBes

1. Since you have the Canada-Wide and US plan, then the calling feature will work. You don't need any add-on

2. No. It's a pre-paid service. The phone will only work in Canada. You will need to get a sim that will work in the US

3. Yes. I have an iPhone 6s Plus and worked great. Just make sure the phone is unlocked to make it work with Public Mobile. Or any koodo or telus phone.

4. Sorry, no idea. 

5. Yes, as long as you have a call plan included.

6. Yes, I think so. 

7. Yeah.

ute1978
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I do tethering all the time with my phone. 
(I have an iPhone 5. Hope this answers your question)

Rockdaddy22
I can guarantee PM works with the iPhone 6, I'll be using it with the 7 in a few weeks 🤑

JaK
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hi @JeffG, welcome (potentially) to Public Mobile. 

Replies inline:

@JeffG wrote:

I have a few questions :

1) If I leave my home province for another Canadian province will the phone work or do I need an add on ?

- with Canada-wide talk in your plan your phone will work in any other province without an add-on

- no, PM does not offer any roaming service, so your phone will not work in the US.

- don't have personal experience, but believe yes those are compatible

- believe it is 10 messages each up to 5 mins

- calling number display is included (if the number is in your contacts list, most phones will display it as the contact name)

- believe it is but haven't tried it.

- believe yes, but again haven't tried. 

Rockdaddy22
Maybe someone could chime in with the maximum number of voicemails we can have in our inbox. We hope you make the jump to PM, I actually came from fido about a year ago and I love it 🤑

zmh1175
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@JeffG wrote:

I have a few questions :

Number 2 doesn't work. other all good.

Need Help? Let's chat.