cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canada Wide Plan - coverage

AngelaKL
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I just selected the Canada Wide Plan and wanted to know a few things. Note: I have an Ontario number. 

1. If I call BC while I am in Ontario - will I be charged long-distance?

2. If I receive a call from BC while in Ontario - will I be charged long-distance?

3. If I am in BC and call a BC number - will I be charged long-distance?

4. If I am in BC and call an Ontario number - will I be charged long-distance?

14 REPLIES 14

Chaos_Scorpio
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Where I meant you were close to the border, you might night pick up Telus towers. Yes, you will not get charged because PM does not work in the states (yet ... waiting for that addon package :D)

pakmode

^ Exactly. 

There are no towers in the US for PM to connect too at the moment lol.

sportymi
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Agree! There's no worry of over-charge, only used up and then you will have no service.

But in the case of talk time, there's absolutely no worries, because it's unlimited!

Cheers to PM!

neo911
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@AngelaKL

since PM is prepaid there is absolutely no chance of you getting overcharged.

The services which are not subscribed to our account will not be charged at all. So you can use PM all over without any worries.

Even data overcharges are not there since your data will stop once you reach the data limit as per your plan.

neilselden
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Ah - ok, I get it.  I would have been surprised too if a PM SIM was connecting to a US tower.

Cheers,

Neil

Hey @neilselden my parents live in White Rock, BC right on the border and their Koodo phones will sometimes connect to Washington state. My mom had to keep calling to have the charges removed, but eventually Koodo flagged their account because of where they live. But with PM, since it doesn't yet work in the US, I'm surprised to hear it could connect.

neilselden

Glad to help.

@Shazia_K, could we create a sticky thread in the 'Getting Started' forum about how province-wide calling, canad-wide calling, and LD add-ons work?  We're getting a lot of questions about it.  And I admit, its not crystal clear without some digging.

Someone had posted a neat graphic describing how it all works... maybe we could use that and my summary above?

Cheers,

Neil

Well good for you @AngelaKL to cover all your bases and ask all the questions. That's what the Community is here for!

AngelaKL

Thank you!!

neilselden

@Chaos_Scorpio, is that right about being close to the US border?  Is it that your phone is trying to connect to a US tower instead of a PM tower?

Cheers,

Neil

AngelaKL

No - my question was about Canada-wide.

I've been burned before where I had a similar plan and received a call from another province and was charged.

Chaos_Scorpio

@AngelaKL wrote:

I just selected the Canada Wide Plan and wanted to know a few things. Note: I have an Ontario number. 

1. If I call BC while I am in Ontario - will I be charged long-distance? - Nope

2. If I receive a call from BC while in Ontario - will I be charged long-distance?  - Nope

3. If I am in BC and call a BC number - will I be charged long-distance? - Nope

4. If I am in BC and call an Ontario number - will I be charged long-distance? - Nope

Canada wide works anywhere in Canada. just be careful that you are not close the the US borders, otherwise it would think you are stateside and PM doesnt work (for now) there. 

As @JaK likes to do... 😛

daredogg
Mayor / Maire

Hey @AngelaKL were your questions actually referring to what you can do with province-wide calling?  If it really was about Canada-wide calling, then I must apologize, but your questions seem more suited to asking what you can do with provincial calling.

neilselden

Hi,

To answer your questions...

1. Nope - that call is included
  2. Nope, all incoming calls are free
  3. Nope - your nation wide "roaming" is included
  4. Nope - all included!

WIth Canada-wide calling:

1. any call that you make within Canada is free
  2. any call that you receive from anywhere while you are in Canada is free
  3. if you want to call International, you will need to buy the International long distance add-on
    1. If you want to call the US only, you need one of:
      1. US/Canada Long distance add on
      2. International add on
      3. Some VoIP solution like Fongo, Hangouts Dialer, etc... This would use your PM data connection to route calls

There is also a lot of confusion about Province wide calling, but I can summarize it here:

1. When in your province:
    1. All calls made within your province are free
    2. All calls received from anywhere are free
    3. Any calls made to anywhere outside your province require a long distance add on
  2. When outside your province
    1. Calls made to whichever province you are in are free
    2. You wil not receive calls unless you have a long distance add on
      1. You will be charged for each minute of incoming call

Hope this helps,

Neil

Need Help? Let's chat.