cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you keep your plan going without your SIM card in your phone?

urbanfarming
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello, 

I’ll be moving abroad for 9-10 months and I’d like to keep my number for when I return. To do this, I plan to either set my plan to the cheapest plan ($15/month), or set to ‘lost/stolen’ and then reactivate for a single month with a $15/month plan every 85-90 days.

My question is if I get another SIM card in the country I’m living in and swap it with my current PM SIM so I can access data, will this affect my ability to keep my plan running in the background with PM?

Thanks!
J

4 REPLIES 4

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@urbanfarming wrote:

Hello, 

I’ll be moving abroad for 9-10 months and I’d like to keep my number for when I return. To do this, I plan to either set my plan to the cheapest plan ($15/month), or set to ‘lost/stolen’ and then reactivate for a single month with a $15/month plan every 85-90 days.

Good solution above. You can manage this through your Self Serve while travelling.

My question is if I get another SIM card in the country I’m living in and swap it with my current PM SIM so I can access data, will this affect my ability to keep my plan running in the background with PM?

Thanks!
J

No, this will not work, if you meant to access Public Mobile services outside of North America.

But, if you meant to obtain a SIM that is usable in the country you are travelling to, than yes, that's okay.

Just make sure to complete the 1st part of your message, if you want to keep your PM number/account.

Safe travels!

t_p
Mayor / Maire

@urbanfarming wrote:

Thanks!
J

The fact you use another SIM card in your phone in another country doesn't affect your PM account here in Canada.

EDIT: A phone plan/service is tied to the SIM card, not the phone itself.

Anonymous
Not applicable

red box. 7 minutes. really.

@urbanfarming : The answer to the question is no. That's exactly the way to keep your account and rewards.There are other ways to keep your number though.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@urbanfarming 

yes you can use another SIM card,

just to you know before 88 days you have to pay for your plan to you not losing your number, and if you are at autopay that is fine....

For Reactivate A Suspended Plan

Missed a payment? After your plan expires, all you need to do is top-up your balance to keep the current plan going. You have up to 90 days to make a payment and, after doing so, your payment cycle will restart and your service will resume.After 90 days of non-payment, your account will be permanently deactivated, which means you will:

• Lose access to your phone number, and won’t be able to transfer it to a new provider in the future.
  • Need a new Public Mobile SIM card if you decide to activate a new Public Mobile account.
Need Help? Let's chat.