cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't receive text to log in to an app

STQ
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I got a strange problem with not being able to receive a verification code text in order to log in to an app. Specifically the newly updated Esso Mobil app.

What makes this strange is that 1, I'm still able to receive texts from other sources, including verification code texts from all other apps and sites that I normally use. And 2, I tried entering my mom's phone number into the Esso Mobil app and a text was successfully sent to her phone.

So the weird thing is, I'm able to receive texts like normal from all sources except that one app, but the app doesn't seem to be the problem because it was able to successfully send a text to a different phone.

Anyone have any ideas as to why it's happening and how to fix it?

39 REPLIES 39

STQ

@softechI've emailed Esso already but haven't gotten a reply yet. Seems like it's an issue exclusive to PM members though given that @valenting and @JC24 are having the same problem. Sounds like it's a problem that can't be solved on the user end.

My workaround is to simply enter my mom's number so I can receive the verification code to sign in. Now I'm signed into the app on my phone except the number on the profile is my mom's instead of mine. Whether the source of the problem is on PM or Esso's end, I hope they get it sorted out soon so I can change the number back to my own.

JC24

I too have this issue with the new Esso app and I also thought it was Esso's issue initially. But I just tried my sister's number (who is with Fido) and they got the verification code right away. 

valenting
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Same problem here. Dis you find solution?

@STQ honest, it could be an issue on the Esso app side rather than )M

Please also open ticket with Esso

STQ

@softech 

Yes, I'm on Android. I tried your methods above but it still doesn't work. When I put my sim into my old phone, it's basically the same thing. I'm able to get texts and calls no problem from all sources except the Esso app. I also tried the Esso app again on my mom's and sister's phone and they both work.

Odd that the Esso app seems to work for all other phone numbers except mine, while my phone number seems to work for all apps except Esso.

@STQ 

are you on Android? Try to clear browser cache first, reboot and test

if still fails, try to install Google Message and set it as the default messaging app and try again

Whether you are on Android or iPhone, try putting your sim in another phone to test, this is to confirm it is not some setting on your phone that blocked it

STQ

@Sansan, yes, I reinstalled the app and also restarted my phone, but no luck. I've emailed Esso, but haven't gotten a response.

@softech, I've been on PM for a long time now, and no problems at all with sending and receiving texts or calls. As mentioned before, I'm still able to receive 2FA texts from all other sources just fine and the Esso app was able to send a text to my mom's phone immediately. So it's strange why it's able to send to my mom's phone but not mine.

Sansan
Mayor / Maire

Strange indeed. Did you try to Uninstall the esso app and re install. If same I would contact Esso directly. 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@STQ 

First, did you just joined PM with porting in number?  and how long you jonied?  do you receive any incoming calls and regular SMS (P2P) from friends?  If so, it is good, at least the porting was completed successfully

For 2FA text or other system generated text (A2P), it is normal for them to start coming later.   Systems take longer to find out you changed provider and to route the text correctly to the new provider (Public Mobile).    Also, financial institutions (banks) or government agencies (e.g, CRA)  put this delay on purpose too to avoid SIM Fraud

Usually they will start coming around the 3rd day after porting but it could take as many as 7 days for all the 2FA/A2P text to come.  

Need Help? Let's chat.