cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't read texts from iphones on our android cell phone while traveling in US

Jim_D
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My wife and I recently switched to the 50GB Canada-US data plan and now while traveling in the US, when someone with an iphone sends us a text, we get an symbol to download the text and a spinning circle around an X.  Then nothing shows up.  Sometimes the text message shows up minutes later or sometimes not until a day or so later.  Any idea what may be causing this.  My wife and I are both using Samsung Galaxy S22 phones.  We have ensured to enable RCS messages.

4 REPLIES 4

Jim_D
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks very much for the replies.  We switched to LTE (4G) and so far it seemed to have resolved the issue.  Really appreciate this as it was very annoying.

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@Jim_D   iPhones as yet (supposedly coming soon) don't support RCS.  For plain text messages you would need SMS enabled, which you probably already do.  For group and picture messages you need MMS enabled.  SMS does not need an internet connection, while MMS needs cellular data to be turned on.  In the US you also need data roaming turned on and not be trying to connect on 5G as already noted.  The fact that the messages do come through eventually suggests to me that perhaps you are not leaving cellular data on all the time and the messages come through when you do turn it on?  Or ditto for data roaming? 

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Jim_D 

they might be trying to send MMS to you

you have Mobile data turned on?

Since it is iPhone-Android trouble, and you are roaming, it might take long to troubleshoot.  I think better to use some 3rd party app for now.  Try Whatsapp

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Jim_D  Set your phone to 4G/LTE not 5G and connect to T MOBILE or AT&T . Also ensure you have data roaming turned on in phone settings 

Need Help? Let's chat.