cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't add 1gb US add-on after mine expired

mystikal_325
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Currently in the US. My 1gb roaming plan expired and I need to add another one. There is no option for it. Anyone seen this? Going to message the mod team but replies always take hours and I need data asap.

10 REPLIES 10

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Well you just need to do one less steel when pirchasing. The add-on 🙂

mystikal_325

Lol didn't matter. Mod team still replied and said okay now add the funds. Ah well.

mystikal_325

Thank you @mimmo, just did that. Great idea.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

The explanation for why the US add-on works or doesn't work is because there is no deferred start for the add-on.  If they did not restrict the multiple purchase of the same add-ons, a customer could conceivably buy two or more back to back and watch them all expire together.  It's never ideal to use workarounds that don't address the root cause of a problem.

Your Plan Data would always be used up before any Add-on Data gets used, and the Plan Data resets the counter at zero each time the Plan renews, while the Add-on Data rolls over indefinitely until used.  While you're within Canada.

My understanding is that the Data included in all PM Plans is Canada-wide.  And Data Add-ons are normally also Canada-wide.  PM/Telus is a Canada-wide network.

But if you're in the US then you're only able to consume 10-day US Roaming Data Add-ons.  Your normal (Canada-wide) Plan Data doesn't apply, you're off the PM/Telus network.

To be honest, $20 per GB is a pretty terrible price in the USA.  If you're just visiting for a month then maybe ride out the cost or ease up on your Data addiction.  But if you're planning on staying in the USA for any longer time then you'd be better off taking one of those killer deals from Verizon/AT&T/T-Mobile which give "tons and tons" of (cheap) local Data, even if it then turns out you'll pay some (cheap) long-distance Talk/Text charges to Canada.  Remember that you can always disable AutoPay and let your PM Plan fail to self-renew, it'll then remain Suspended (and cost you nothing) for up to 90 days without closing the account or losing the phone number.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@mystikal_325  you might want to manually add teh funds so taht the mods can activate teh addon for you.

mystikal_325

Thanks for the reply. I have already messaged them and am waiting, as usual.

I just can't believe they programmed the system like this. Obviously someone who buys the largest data option might want to add more again. Why would it be coded to prevent that?

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@mystikal_325, if you are sure your add-on has expired the 10 day duration and you can't add it again, you need to seek moderator team support no matter how long it takes.  None of us can assist with account changes.  

mystikal_325

No, only the 250mb is available with the bundle. I bought the 1gb data separate.

Are you telling me I have to spend $15 for 500mb now instead of the $20 for 1gb? What happens when the 500mb expires? I can only buy 250mb? And then when that expires?

To be clear, I don't mean to attack you at all. Thanks for replying. This is just the 10th thing this company has shocked me with their ineptitude of if true.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@mystikal_325wrote:

Currently in the US. My 1gb roaming plan expired and I need to add another one. There is no option for it. Anyone seen this? Going to message the mod team but replies always take hours and I need data asap.

Was it part of a talk text data package?  If so you can only pick the same plan after the 10 days are up.  You may need to pick just a data addon if you need data immediately.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.