cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't access DATA

SDB
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Just got Public set up this morning.  Using iPhone 6.  Phone works under wifi, but can't seem to get data working (my plan includes 500mb).  Looked under APN and found these instructions:

However, I only have APN line and under that is Username and under that is Password.  Don't know where to enter that MMSC stuff.

18 REPLIES 18

@CalgaryBen 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/FYI-iOS-and-APNs/td-p/323118

Apologies for the "bad" post... it seems iPhones have changed a lot in recent years... no APN configuration (because carrier profiles), no need to connect to iTunes (because OTA updates).

My limited experiences with iPhones have usually been mutually antagonistic, lol I get them working but always the hard way. 

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Korth wrote:

https://apn-canada.gishan.net/en/apn/public-mobile/ios

Public Mobile does not push APN settings so you'll have to configure them manually.

It might say "Telus" instead of "Public Mobile" for a few hours or days, and this might cause wrong Data speeds (too fast or too slow, lol) or some out-of-sync SMS/MMS attachs until then, but it's a network-side problem which eventually sorts itself out.

Newer iPhones can do (most) iOS updates across WiFi. Older iPhones need to sync through iTunes. There are ways around iTunes but they all involve software sync through PC/Mac anyhow. 

@Korth it's not in my nature to call someone out for a bad post, but your statements are not correct, and suggestions are not helpful at all, and would just have someone running through hoops for nothing.  OP mentioned iPhone 6, so without question, it has a version of iOS that supports OTA updates, and APN settings are established through carrier profiles which are downloaded from Apple.

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@SDB wrote:

I did all that and still nothing, but I see it changed my APN setting back to isp.telus.com  😞

Where do you see this?  Are you sure this isn't under PERSONAL HOTSPOT of the Cellular Data?  If that's where you're seeing it, then it is not the setting you're after.

If you want to actually see the APN that's been configured on your iPhone, follow the procedure described in Option #2 of this post:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/FYI-iOS-and-APNs/m-p/323143/highlight...

If you can report back what the APN is set to, and whether you have an IPv4 address, we can take troubleshooting from there...

https://apn-canada.gishan.net/en/apn/public-mobile/ios

Public Mobile does not push APN settings so you'll have to configure them manually.

Restart the iPhone without SIM card. Then restart again with Public Mobile SIM card. Then Select Network Operator in Settings (Public Mobile or Automatic) if it doesn't automatically select for you. Create New APN (or select some other one and Edit APN). Restart again. Make sure WiFi off and Airplane Mode off so it's forced to connect to network.

It might say "Telus" instead of "Public Mobile" for a few hours or days, and this might cause wrong Data speeds (too fast or too slow, lol) or some out-of-sync SMS/MMS attachs until then, but it's a network-side problem which eventually sorts itself out.

Newer iPhones can do (most) iOS updates across WiFi. Older iPhones need to sync through iTunes. There are ways around iTunes but they all involve software sync through PC/Mac anyhow. 

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@SDB You cannot change the carrier profile. It looks like your account has not been provisioned properly only moderators can fix that

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

SDB

I don’t have an iTunes account. 

Stay Safe!

@SDB wrote:

I did all that and still nothing, but I see it changed my APN setting back to isp.telus.com  😞

@SDB  One more thing to try is connect to WiFi and login into your iTunes account just in case there are updates for your phone.

SDB

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@hairbag1 wrote:

If you only recently ported from a different cell network, that could take a few hours for everything to normalize !

@hairbag1 no, not for data, it should just work right away.

@SDB try checking for a carrier update in your iPhone settings.  For all things iPhone connectivity related, please see here (from @CalgaryBen 😞  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/FYI-iOS-and-APNs/m-p/326123/highlight...

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@SDB wrote:

I don't have another phone to swap the SIM card.  And if I do a reset and erase everything, does that erase contacts, photos, etc?  I'm not ready to do that.

@SDB  Try a network reset first to see f it fixes your issue. To  reset the network settings on my Apple iPhone 6 do the following:

Touch Settings.
Scroll to and touch General.
Scroll to and touch Reset.
Touch Reset Network Settings.
The iPhone will reboot...

Test to see if it works..

SDB

I don't have another phone to swap the SIM card.  And if I do a reset and erase everything, does that erase contacts, photos, etc?  I'm not ready to do that.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@SDBYou shouldn't need to mess with the APN for iPhone 6 if you have the latest iOS

Here is what I suggest you do:

0. Swap your SIM card to another phone to make sure data is working for the account.. there seems to be provisioning problems lately.

1. Backup your iPhone

2. Do a reset under Settings -> General -> Reset and select Erase everything.

3. Do the setup again, connect to a wifi while you do that, so that the iPhone can download the latest carrier profile for Public Mobile.

4. Restore from your backup

5. Make sure LTE is enabled under Cellular

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

If you only recently ported from a different cell network, that could take a few hours for everything to normalize !

Mine says sp.mb.com

Leave username / password blank

SDB

I have rebooted.  I see under Cellular Data, the APN says:  isp.telus.com

Under that it asks for Username (?)

Under Username asks for password.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@SDB wrote:

Just got Public set up this morning.  Using iPhone 6.  Phone works under wifi, but can't seem to get data working (my plan includes 500mb).  Looked under APN and found these instructions:

However, I only have APN line and under that is Username and under that is Password.  Don't know where to enter that MMSC stuff.

Make sure data is enabled on your phone. Try rebooting and let us know if that helps.

Need Help? Let's chat.