cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can i use Public Mobile sim card to test if phone will work on Telus network?

erotavlas
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

If you put an active public mobile sim card in a phone (Rogers network) and the phone is able to connect to the network and make calls, does this mean that the phone will also work on Telus network using a Telus sim card?

EDIT: assuming phone is unlocked already.

4 REPLIES 4

wrote:

I tried the sim card, but it did not work, the phone was a Nokia 5130, I guess its not compatible.  I could not find information on the frequencies it uses.  

@erotavlas

The specs I found for the Nokia 5130 say that it is running GSM protocol only. Telus / Public Mobile's network do not support 2G GSM - your phone needs a minimum 3G UMTS/W-CDMA/HSPA: B2 (1900) and B5 (850)

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/LTE-network-fundamentals/m-p/198799/highl...

The only network in Canada this phone will work on is Rogers, its sub brands (Fido, ChatR) and some MVNOs (SpeakOut, PetroCan).

erotavlas
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I tried the sim card, but it did not work, the phone was a Nokia 5130, I guess its not compatible.  I could not find information on the frequencies it uses.  

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

wrote:

If you put an active public mobile sim card in a phone (Rogers network) and the phone is able to connect to the network and make calls, does this mean that the phone will also work on Telus network using a Telus sim card?

That indicates the phone is unlocked.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Lg85
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

If the phone works with Public Mobile, it will definitely work on Telus as Telus is the parent organization of Public Mobile. If your phone is locked to the Rogers network, you will need to get it unlocked first before it will work with another phone carrier. 

Need Help? Let's chat.