cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can/USA plan data issues in USA

djtripz
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Very frustrated as I cannot access cellular data in the USA.  I have a Canada / USA plan and it connects to the network for calls only.  I ensured that cellular data is on and have updated the APN and multiple restarts with no luck.  Had to stop at Target or Walmart for WiFi access to even write this message.  Please help.

8 REPLIES 8

ramgi
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I was having issues accessing data on both Verizon and AT&T. I had 5G turned on came to the forum looking for answers. I tried several like manually selecting network to Verizon or AT&T, changed APN selected, turned on data roaming but without any luck. After reading your post I selected LTE and data seems to be working now. 

Frosty7

I have the same issue when travelling to the USA even though I have a US-CAD plan. I was on telus before and had zero issues with Data, now I can be in the USA and have 5G nearly all bars and still not be able to access data at all. I have went through all my settings, ensured roaming was on, reset APN settings, and issue persists. If I am not able to get coverage in the same places I was able to with Telus it will not be worth it for me to keep this plan

djtripz

Are you on a CAN/USA plan?  If so did you try the APN settings for either iPhone or Android?

the LTE / turn off auto carrier select worked for me on iPhone but if you are an Android user that may be a different process to complete.  

@algonzalez no worry roaming charges

The roaming toggle actually means allow your PM sim card to connect to another network (AT&T and T-Mobile), I can assure you no roaming charges with your Canada-US plan

algonzalez

@softech , if I enable data roaming, wouldn't I get charged extra roaming fees? I thought the idea of having a Us-Canada plan was to avoid roaming fees.

algonzalez

I tried to connect to t-mobile and at&t network but that didn't solve the problem 😞

djtripz

Thank you for the reply!  Issue was the carrier.  It kept auto selecting to Verizon and I could not change it even toggling off Automatic did not do anything and Verizon was static until I changed the data option to LTE as you suggested.  Once I did that I could toggle off Automatic and select T-Mobile from the list.  Now data works!.  It is odd that Verizon is the auto option and only voice works with it although it registers a 5g connection.  I can see more ppl having issues with that going forward.  

problem solved.  Thank you!

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@djtripz 

Critical part to US roaming depends on T-Mobile/AT&T coverage and whether you can connect successfully onto either network.

If the phone is not connecting to T-Mobile/AT&T, change the Network Connection from Automatic to Manual and select and test both T-Mobile and AT&T and see which one you can connect.

If your issue is with data, make sure your Roaming Mobile data is enabled and you have disabled your mobile data limiter.  Also change your network mode to 4G (and don't try 5G until you can connect and works on 4G)

If your issue is with voice, make sure VoLTE is enabled on the device setting.  And if it does not work, try to change the Network to T-Mobile ONLY, and change  Preferred Network Type or Network Mode to 2G and see if the calls go through.
Also, you can download VoIP app TextNow as a workaround to make calls and text if you have Wifi or if your roaming has data component and data  is working

Need Help? Let's chat.