cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can International Long Distance minutes be used locally

cory_c
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hi.  I have at least 1000 International Long-Distance minutes that are unused. Today, someone I know unexpectedly dialed my cell. Time flew and all of a sudden, I was cut off only to receive a text message from PM informing me that I had 10 minutes left in my conversation. Not sure when I'll get around to using my long-distance minutes although I do know people I can call in the US. I think it's inappropriate to cut me off being that I have more than enough minutes. What I get from this experience is that in addition to PM rate increase, I'll have to stop answering my mobile phone which defeats the purpose of having one. 

4 REPLIES 4

@EB0 wrote:

@cory_c 

if you are on the old $13 plan 50 minutes 50 outgoing messages, incoming and outgoing minutes are counted against your 50 minutes. You can still use 1000 minutes when you call Canada, it’s possible that you may not be able to use those international minutes against your incoming call , but I’m not sure 100 %

The international long distance minutes that are currently sold cannot be used for that purpose.

EB0
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@cory_c 

if you are on the old $13 plan 50 minutes 50 outgoing messages, incoming and outgoing minutes are counted against your 50 minutes. You can still use 1000 long distance minutes from previous Xmas when you call Canada, it’s possible that you may not be able to use those long distance minutes against your incoming call , but I’m not sure 100 %

if you bought those international minutes/ add-on, it’s intended to be used to call a specific countries, and you may not able to use them to call Canada or use them against incoming calls 

@cory_c wrote:

Hi.  I have at least 1000 International Long-Distance minutes that are unused. Today, someone I know unexpectedly dialed my cell. Time flew and all of a sudden, I was cut off only to receive a text message from PM informing me that I had 10 minutes left in my conversation. Not sure when I'll get around to using my long-distance minutes although I do know people I can call in the US. I think it's inappropriate to cut me off being that I have more than enough minutes. What I get from this experience is that in addition to PM rate increase, I'll have to stop answering my mobile phone which defeats the purpose of having one. 

Long distance minutes at Public Mobile are unrelated to the ability to receive phone calls.  Answering a call doesn't use up long distance minutes at this carrier (unless you have a plan that doesn't include unlimited incoming calls and that's only the case with some long distance add-ons).  Does your plan include unlimted calling?

As for the part about being able to use international minutes to call locally.  If you have one of the plans that only includes 50 or 100 minutes, this depends on which add-on you are asking about.  Some can be used as local minutes while some cannot.  If you bought the international long distance minutes (or if it's included in a plan), those minutes cannot be used for local calls.  However, international long distance minutes given to customers for free by Public Mobile can be used to make local calls.

@cory_c , international minutes can only be used to call the noted international countries.  

Need Help? Let's chat.