cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calls failing while talking

SEI
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I started having this issue two weeks ago where my calls will fail mid conversation. 
I’ve restarted my phone but didn’t change.

15 REPLIES 15

ioncewasaninja
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have the exact same problem in edmonton.  Different people, different call, call dies within 5 mins or less usually.

Tom22335566

@will13am wrote:

@Tom22335566 wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@Tom22335566 wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Tom22335566 wrote:

SEI, public mobile is over capacity on their network right now...meaning their infrastructure cannot handle the volume of customers, so you get dropped calls. It isn't just you this is happening to, but everyone is affected. If you talk long enough, your call will drop. Could be 1 minute, could be 15 mins....I got to 37 mins once before it dropped. PM is still ok for text and data, but they dropped the ball on voice calls. If you need reliable voice chat, you will unfortunately have to switch. My wife just switched to Fido and ZERO problems with calls in 4 days. I'm probably switching next

Do you have any source for that information?  While I agree that these call drop issues are inexcusable, it's important not to come up with our own conclusions.  Customers just aren't in a position to have any information about network capacity.

Here you go Computergeek...over capacity was the word from Telus tech support on PM's dropped call issue. Also, priority was another reason. On telus or bell towers, they get priority on calls , then PM. So we are always 3rd inline which is expected

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Dropped-Calls/td-p/1205242

Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Saturday - last edited Saturday

So I finally have figured out why I am getting dropped calls. I spoke to a tech at Telus. The main tower in my area is a bell tower. There are micro towers around my area with a good signal strength of about -90 dcb. The problem with the micro tower is that it becomes over- capacitated ( if that’s a word)  or over whelmed therefore droping the calls as there is too many people on the network. So for me the fix is new  micro towers in our area to allow increase capacity. I live in Bedford NS and it has been grow exponentially. Another thing that was mentioned was prioritization. When a bell customer is using a Bell tower they would have Priority , then Telus and then PM. He could not confirm this , as it is Bells equipment not Telus but he did say that is a thing. He did say that can happen depending on  whose equipment is being used and plan provider you are subscribed to. I am going to perform a test and Join Telus or Bell  for a month and see if the drop calls  continue or not. He did say changing to 3 g may help as that band is not used as much compared to LTE or 5g therefore less traffic , therefore less dropped calls. Thats a PITA ! So my suggestion to all is that you speak to a TELUS tech to get yours answers as every  situation can be different. Rule out hardware and software problems first , like changing sims , changing from 5g to 4g , have PM  do a network reset etc. as that may work for some people. After you have exhausted all those options get them to create a ticket to telus and tech support at Telus will call you and investigate further. 
He also told me that he will forward his findings to Bell. If there are enough complaints they will investigate and possibly add some new hardware but I’m sure it will take some time as that is an additional cost to the providers. Wifi calling would be a great solution for situations  but unfortunately Pm does not provide that service. Hope this helps. 

people. 

Telus runs their own network in BC.  How do you explain the dropped call problem in BC?  You think Telus would purposely throw Public Mobile under the bus in hopes of gaining overall market share?  We are all making our best guess at the moment, the only way forward is for Public Mobile to come out with an official statement.  

Why do you sound so agitated? I not guessing or assuming anything. I'm only posting what Greg posted...and he went through weeks of call logging with tech support to finally get to Telus tech support....and it was the Telus tech who said over capacity and network priority.  Greg and I both want to stay with PM. Why? Because it is the best deal currently and we both don't want to switch. But you know what is happening though 100% of the time?? Our calls are dropping. That isn't guessing. That's just pure fact.

I am not agitated at all.  I have seen customers report that flip phones work perfectly.  I don't even where to begin to make sense of this fact.  I too am a long time customer and want to remain that way.  I want to know as much as the next customer what is going on.  

Well, if it helps you with your search for what's going on....I will give you more info.

My wife, son and I were with Telus mobiltiy with zero issues. No call drops, but they raised my prices on each line by $6. I immediately switched to PM thinking that it must be the same since they are owned by Telus and share the same towers. But sadly, all 3 of us have had dropped calls since joining almost a month ago. So definitely PM service is NOT Telus service. It completely makes sense when a tech says Telus has priority on their towers, then PM. But I also assume that Koodo would also take bite into that capacity making it worse.

My son is on the $34 /50gig can/us and my wife and I were on the $40 75gig can/us plan. It got so bad that every one of my wife's calls dropped. every single one. As a married man there is nothing worse than hearing your wife complaining 24/7 about how crappy the service is lol

Anyways, I switched her to Fido $39/50gig canada plan. It has been 4 days, ZERO dropped calls (and she talks a lot). My son is ok for the most part because text and data is most important for his generation so I'm keeping him on the $34 plan. Ive been offered the $45 100Gig 5G plan from Rogers, so I'm still mulling over it. I lose the US calling which in the end will end up costing me a lot more, but at least I know it will work.

The three phones we use: iphone 14, Samsung S24 and a Google Pixel 6. I have had my lines "refreshed" through support but it didn't do anything and I wasn't going to spend hours like Greg did call loggin on his phone and 3 levels of tech support, all through emails...no way man, not going to go through that hassle.

@Tom22335566 wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@Tom22335566 wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Tom22335566 wrote:

SEI, public mobile is over capacity on their network right now...meaning their infrastructure cannot handle the volume of customers, so you get dropped calls. It isn't just you this is happening to, but everyone is affected. If you talk long enough, your call will drop. Could be 1 minute, could be 15 mins....I got to 37 mins once before it dropped. PM is still ok for text and data, but they dropped the ball on voice calls. If you need reliable voice chat, you will unfortunately have to switch. My wife just switched to Fido and ZERO problems with calls in 4 days. I'm probably switching next

Do you have any source for that information?  While I agree that these call drop issues are inexcusable, it's important not to come up with our own conclusions.  Customers just aren't in a position to have any information about network capacity.

Here you go Computergeek...over capacity was the word from Telus tech support on PM's dropped call issue. Also, priority was another reason. On telus or bell towers, they get priority on calls , then PM. So we are always 3rd inline which is expected

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Dropped-Calls/td-p/1205242

So I finally have figured out why I am getting dropped calls. I spoke to a tech at Telus. The main tower in my area is a bell tower. There are micro towers around my area with a good signal strength of about -90 dcb. The problem with the micro tower is that it becomes over- capacitated ( if that’s a word)  or over whelmed therefore droping the calls as there is too many people on the network. So for me the fix is new  micro towers in our area to allow increase capacity. I live in Bedford NS and it has been grow exponentially. Another thing that was mentioned was prioritization. When a bell customer is using a Bell tower they would have Priority , then Telus and then PM. He could not confirm this , as it is Bells equipment not Telus but he did say that is a thing. He did say that can happen depending on  whose equipment is being used and plan provider you are subscribed to. I am going to perform a test and Join Telus or Bell  for a month and see if the drop calls  continue or not. He did say changing to 3 g may help as that band is not used as much compared to LTE or 5g therefore less traffic , therefore less dropped calls. Thats a PITA ! So my suggestion to all is that you speak to a TELUS tech to get yours answers as every  situation can be different. Rule out hardware and software problems first , like changing sims , changing from 5g to 4g , have PM  do a network reset etc. as that may work for some people. After you have exhausted all those options get them to create a ticket to telus and tech support at Telus will call you and investigate further. 
He also told me that he will forward his findings to Bell. If there are enough complaints they will investigate and possibly add some new hardware but I’m sure it will take some time as that is an additional cost to the providers. Wifi calling would be a great solution for situations  but unfortunately Pm does not provide that service. Hope this helps. 

people. 

Telus runs their own network in BC.  How do you explain the dropped call problem in BC?  You think Telus would purposely throw Public Mobile under the bus in hopes of gaining overall market share?  We are all making our best guess at the moment, the only way forward is for Public Mobile to come out with an official statement.  

Why do you sound so agitated? I not guessing or assuming anything. I'm only posting what Greg posted...and he went through weeks of call logging with tech support to finally get to Telus tech support....and it was the Telus tech who said over capacity and network priority.  Greg and I both want to stay with PM. Why? Because it is the best deal currently and we both don't want to switch. But you know what is happening though 100% of the time?? Our calls are dropping. That isn't guessing. That's just pure fact.

I am not agitated at all.  I have seen customers report that flip phones work perfectly.  I don't even where to begin to make sense of this fact.  I too am a long time customer and want to remain that way.  I want to know as much as the next customer what is going on.  

Tom22335566

@will13am wrote:

@Tom22335566 wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Tom22335566 wrote:

people. 

@Tom22335566 wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Tom22335566 wrote:

people. 

Tom22335566

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Tom22335566 wrote:

people. 

Tom22335566

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Tom22335566 wrote:

Yes, I do have a source...one person on here went all the way to tier 3 Telus Tech support (meaning they went through the first two levels of Public Mobile Tech support) and this was the conclusion that the tech support gave. Over capacity of the network. I'm not making this up, nor am I drawing conclusions. I will find try and find the thread and post it here for your benefit

@Tom22335566 wrote:

Tom22335566

@BKNS27 wrote:

@SEI 

If rebooting your phone didn’t work then try a Network reset on your phone but you will need to re-enter your home wifi password if you have one.

Also check to see if they are working on the cell towers in your area:

https://istheservicedowncanada.com/status/telus/map 

No amount of resets or cell tower research or anything is going to help. Unfortunately, the PM network is over capacity. Meaning, it can't handle the load of customers. They grew too fast and their servers can't keep up. So if you want to stay with PM, expect problems with voice calls. There will also be a slow down in data services but you won't notice it as much so text and data should be still ok

Tom22335566

@SEI wrote:

I started having this issue two weeks ago where my calls will fail mid conversation. 
I’ve restarted my phone but didn’t change.

Oscarkiai

This is a generalized proposal of several potential causes for this:

1. Network Coverage: The most common reason for call failures is poor network coverage. If you're in an area with weak signal strength or limited network coverage, it can lead to dropped calls or call failures. You can check the coverage map provided by Public Mobile to see if your area is well-covered.

2. Network Congestion: During peak times or in densely populated areas, network congestion can occur, causing issues with call quality and stability. This is more likely to happen during busy hours when many people are using the network simultaneously.

3. Device Compatibility: Sometimes, certain devices may not be fully compatible with the network infrastructure, leading to issues with calls. Make sure your device is compatible with the Public Mobile network and has the necessary software updates installed.

4. Technical Issues: Occasionally, technical glitches or issues with the network infrastructure can cause call failures. These are typically temporary and may resolve on their own. If the problem persists, contacting Public Mobile customer support can help identify and resolve any underlying technical issues.

5. Call Settings: Check your call settings to ensure that call forwarding, call barring, or any other call-related features are not inadvertently enabled, as these can interfere with your ability to make or receive calls.

6. SIM Card Issues: Sometimes, issues with the SIM card such as damage or improper insertion can lead to call failures. Try removing and reinserting the SIM card, ensuring it's properly seated in the device.

Hopefully, one of these will be of help.

Best of luck.

Rastin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Try reading some of this from other with the same issue. There no real fix other then maybe use an old phone that is 3g only like a flip phone

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Dropped-calls/td-p/1210732

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@SEI 

If rebooting your phone didn’t work then try a Network reset on your phone but you will need to re-enter your home wifi password if you have one.

Also check to see if they are working on the cell towers in your area:

https://istheservicedowncanada.com/status/telus/map 

Rastin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

This is an ongoing problem at the moment. I seen complaints as old as 3 months but seem to have gotten worse over the last 2 weeks mostly from BC and ontario

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@SEI , you could use the chat symbol on the lower right corner of the web page to initiate a support ticket to have your account reset.  This might solve the problem if it is account related.  There have been a lot of reported calling failures in recent times which suggest a network related problem.  The situation is not ideal as there have been total radio silence from Public Mobile.   

Need Help? Let's chat.