cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calling home from Italy

Matthew8702
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have some international calling minutes. 

I will be in Italy for a vacation.  Will I be able to use my phone to call home from there?  It's a Samsung S10e.

I don't know how to change sim cards or things like that

4 REPLIES 4

Matthew8702
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks. This is helpful.  We'll get a TIM sim in Italy. 

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@Matthew8702 wrote:

I have some international calling minutes. 

I will be in Italy for a vacation.  Will I be able to use my phone to call home from there?  It's a Samsung S10e.

I don't know how to change sim cards or things like that

As others have already mentioned, your Public Mobile service will not work at all outside of Canada or USA, so you will not be able to use Public Mobile at all in Italy.

Since the Samsung S10e does not support eSIM, you will need to either rely on Wi-Fi connectivity when available, or look into an alternate provider & SIM to use in Italy. For Wi-Fi, you can sign up for a VoIP calling app like TextNow or Fongo Mobile before you go and make calls with a temporary Canadian number anywhere you have Wi-Fi.

Also, you can look into a roaming SIM provider like FlexiRoam that also offers physical SIMs they can mail to you in Canada before leaving for the trip, on top of their usual eSIM offerings. That way you can put their SIM in your phone before you go and have it work when you land, instead of having to sort that out once you arrive.

Good luck!

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Matthew8702  Sorry PM only has roaming in the US with roaming add on . Those international mins you have are only for calling abroad from Canada only . Your best to get local pre paid SIM card in Italy for your trip away 

slusagm
Mayor / Maire

no, you can't.  Those long distance mins are to used to call from Canada to other countries.

to call from Italy back Canada, maybe use those voice app like WhatsApp or FaceTime 

Need Help? Let's chat.