cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call forwarding my number with a different SIM

Funkagenda
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm going to be traveling in Europe near the end of this month and would ideally like to pick up a European SIM so that I have service while I'm there. I'd like to be able to have my PM number forward to my local number so that if anyone here needs to contact me it's still easy to do so.

Is this possible to do? I have an Android phone, if that makes a difference.

7 REPLIES 7

@Funkagenda wrote:

Basically, when I swap the SIM, all my call forwarding settings will be tied to the overseas number I'll have, rather than my PM number. Meaning anyone who dials my PM number will simply get nothingness.

That isn't correct.  Call forwarding is done at the account level of your Public Mobile account. Taking out your Public Mobile sim card out of your phone and inserting a different one has no effect on this.  You do need to set up your call forwarding though before removing your Public Moible sim card (and you may need to do it while still connected to the Telus network).

Funkagenda

Perfect, that's what I was looking for! Thank you!

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Funkagenda before you leave Canada, with your PM SIM still in your phone, forward your calls to your Fongo number.  I'd actually recommend you try that right away and test calling yourself to make sure the call arrives through Fongo.  Once you're happy with that, you can turn off the forwarding again for now, and just turn it back on like I said before you leave Canada.

Once you land in Europe and activate service with a European provider and fire up your phone on that SIM card, your calls will come through over data (make sure you get a plan with data from the European provider!) and come into Fongo.  

Note that you cannot forward text messages.  If anyone sends any to your PM number while you are away, they will store up and get delivered to you when you land back in Canada and fire up the phone with your PM SIM card installed.  You may want to consider moving your conversations over to a data-based chatting app instead, like WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, etc.

Finally, for your outbound calls while you're in Europe, you could use Fongo to make calls over data and that would be fine.  However, the outbound caller ID will show your Fongo number and may confused some people you want to call.  Another trick you can do is to download the Google Hangouts Dialer app now, and then go into the settings and verify your phone number.  It will send you a text (which is why you need to do this now, before you leave Canada) with a verification code.  You enter that code into Hangouts Dialer, and then afterward you can use it to place calls and they will arrive to your contacts with your own PM phone number as the caller ID.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Funkagenda

I do indeed have a Fongo number that I planned on using (at least across Canada). But my issue is that I need to set up forwarding on the phone itself, not with PM as a service, so will my swapping out of the SIM card affect call forwarding?

Basically, when I swap the SIM, all my call forwarding settings will be tied to the overseas number I'll have, rather than my PM number. Meaning anyone who dials my PM number will simply get nothingness.

@CalvinW wrote:

@Funkagenda I would recommend trying fongo. 

@Funkagenda  Expanding on what CalvinW is recommending, Fongo can provide you with a free Canadian phone number that would be considered a local call to forward your Public Mobile phone number to.  It's free to use.

Fongo uses the internet to route your calls.  So, if the service that you purchase to use in Europe includes data usage, you would be able to receive all of your regular phone calls for no additional charge, other than whatever it costs for your cellular data service in that part of Europe.  You won't receive any of your text messages though.  If you have messaging requirements, you'll have to rely on e-mail and instant messaging.

CalvinW
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Funkagenda I would recommend trying fongo. 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

So, you want to forward to the phone number you are going to be traveling with?  I am not sure that would be so easy.  As a minimum, long distance charges will be applied. 

My suggestion for situations like this is learn to wean off of phone numbers.  In this era with the proliferation of communications apps, it is quite easy to use apps for text, voice and video communications that rely on having a data connection only.  At the moment, my go to app is hangouts.  I can talk to a phone from my computer which doesn't have a number. 

Need Help? Let's chat.