cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call Control

ITIStudios
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

The post on this subject are a few years old.

Has there been any change in the status of PM adding the call control feature.

I just switch to PM a week ago and the bogus call are through the roof.  Today about evrey 15 minutes.

Im seriously thinking about switching back to my original provider who has made me a very sweet offer to come back.

How does one block or ignore these spam calls with out something like Call control?

Update:

Port my old number which I've had for +/- 20 years.

It just seems to be to much of a coincidence that I go from 1 or 2 a day to 50+ a day after switching to PM.

Thanks for the feedback, comments and suggestions.

I thinks it's fair to say we can close this thread.

There  is lots of new information to make this subject current.

Thank you to all, contributors and readers alike.

16 REPLIES 16

Well, I have an iPhone 8 and I wont be upgrading any time soon.

I'm trying "if not in contacts" idea to see what happens.

@ITIStudios But isn't voice mail same as answering

Since Apple introduced Live Voicemail spam calls are not nearly as annoying because you don't have to log in to carrier voicemail if they leave a message.  You just send the calls from unrecognized numbers to Live Voicemail and watch and read if anything is being transcribed, then you can answer or not while they are leaving the message.  If you're not close to the phone you just read the messages later. Mostly the spammers don't leave one and you're saved from having to go to carrier voicemail to hear nothing. But I imagine you have an Android or you'd be using it if you had an iPhone that can update to the required ios17?

slusagm
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I am telling you the way you suggested wont wrok.  Most spam/scam calls do not target by name

ITIStudios

Yes, and I have turned on that feature.  i.e. go to voice mail if not in contacts.

But isn't voice mail same as answering ?

Rastin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

So you telling me you never got a scam call and call you by name?  If so you're lucky. And I didn't say the new number would be cleaner I just said it would reduce the number of targeted scam call as when they come in it would make it harder for them to scam you since they don't know who you are.

ITIStudios

Yes but when you're self employed (as I am) since the inception of the number, the opposite is true and warrants keeping it.

I appreciate your point if I weren't the initial user to be assigned my number.

slusagm

nah, I don't agree with that

what you suggest will only work if you get a brand new number never been used , only possible when new area code introduced

When you get a new number , it is generally a recycled number.  So, you ditch your own "finger print" just to  inherit someone else's.  There is no scientific proof that someone else's finger printer is clearer than your own..  So, in the end, you are going through the trouble for nothing.

Rastin

A major drawback to having an number so long is that's its like a finger print.  You have used it at multiple company's over the years and some of them have likely been hacked over the years and the scamers know who you are. It's a good idea to change your number every few years. At least it will reduce any targeted spam calls.

slusagm

honest, there is no effective way in dealing with spoofing.  Only way is the option not to ring if the number not in your contacts, but that would also send legit calls to voicemail.

maurelle

@slusagm wrote:

no Call Control

But if you have a phone like Samsung or iPhone, it should has it way to detect spam call and will show you if the phone call is possible spam or suspicious  

Pixel offers "number flagging" as well. However, this doesn't help with spoofed numbers. Once you have answered one spam call, your number ends up on the scammers' "line alive - potential victim" list. If you don't answer the calls are likely going on for a few days, and then they'll move on. 

On my personal phone I have a whitelist of numbers that I'm happily talking to. Unless I'm waiting for a call-back from, say, a doctor's office, I put the phone on Do-not-disturb-exept-whitelist - however that looks on your particular phone. Calls from numbers not on the whitelist will go to voicemail. If it's important the caller will leave a message.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@ITIStudios 

You can change your number by login to the PM app then go to Account tab>Change Phone Number. You can change it 4 times/month.

IMG_0213.png

If your number was ported over to PM, it does matter which carrier you go with. The scammers will continue to call your number with a spoofed number.

I get calls on one of my Canadian TextNow number but zero on my USA TextNow number. One time while the scammers are calling my Canadian number while it is ringing…I call the number on my USA phone and it was ringing. The number that is calling me was spoofed. I block the number but i don’t think it would make a difference.

slusagm

no Call Control

But if you have a phone like Samsung or iPhone, it should has it way to detect spam call and will show you if the phone call is possible spam or suspicious  

eddieO

I have the same experience, been here for a few months and so far I've had zero spam calls (ported in my old number). I rarely had spam calls with my old provider but once every blue moon

Rastin

You using your old number or did you get a new 1? If you got a new one you can change it and it may help with unwanted calls

Rastin

No call control here. Been here for about 4 to 5 months and only got 1 spam call

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

hi @ITIStudios 

sorry, no Call Control here, and you likely won't see it here, too.  Tier 3, budget and no frill carrier

Need Help? Let's chat.