cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying Usa add-on ahead of time

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

A family member is leaving for USA on Nov 1 and coming back on the4th.

If I buy the USA addon now , it activates now and expires after they return.

My question will the add-on affect any of the services while in Canada. I always hear stories of sms not working on return, so wondering if it's the same for before leaving.

8 REPLIES 8

@mimmo wrote:

Never really paid attention, When does the sms issue typically happen

1) when return to Canada while having USA addon  still active

Or 

2) when add-on expires?

When/how  does it typically fix itself ?

When the addon expires.  I never had issues being in Canada with an active US addon.  It is only after the plan has expired but is still showing on your overview page in the addon section.  It usually resolves itself after 24-48 hours on it's own but this is when it would be interesting to see the lost sim would reboot the sim and have the addon removed after it expired it the texting issue did arise.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

mimmo

Never really paid attention, When does the sms issue typically happen

1) when return to Canada while having USA addon  still active

Or 

2) when add-on expires?

When/how  does it typically fix itself ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@krazykiwi wrote:

Curious to see if the Lost/Stolen trick works to resolve this kind of issue on return prior to the USA roaming expiring, if she gets the issue that is?

Ditto.

Yeah I know nobody likes a ditto post but here it is. I asked this of another customer but of course they were gone once they got working. But this is via a known regular here so it should be testable.

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@krazykiwi wrote:

@mimmo wrote:

Thanks, going to buy it tonight and test that it works tomorrow. Since i am In Victoria we have a clear view of USA.  This way can make sure all is working., That way mom doesn't have issues when she is visiting USA.

Curious to see if the Lost/Stolen trick works to resolve this kind of issue on return prior to the USA roaming expiring, if she gets the issue that is?

I could see trying it once it has expired as that would be when you actually know if your texting has been affected

Good point, no sense in trying to fix a problem that hasn't occurred yet. Even if it did fix the problem that was going to occur, you wouldn't know that it did!

EDIT: I have never had the problem, I thought it was on return to Canada, but now see it is on the expiry of the Add-on!

@krazykiwi wrote:

@mimmo wrote:

Thanks, going to buy it tonight and test that it works tomorrow. Since i am In Victoria we have a clear view of USA.  This way can make sure all is working., That way mom doesn't have issues when she is visiting USA.

I could see trying it once it has expired as that would be when you actually know if your texting has been affected

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@mimmo wrote:

mimmo

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@mimmo wrote:

A family member is leaving for USA on Nov 1 and coming back on the4th.

If I buy the USA addon now , it activates now and expires after they return.

My question will the add-on affect any of the services while in Canada. I always hear stories of sms not working on return, so wondering if it's the same for before leaving.

It will be fine it is when the add-on expires and doesn't clear from your plan that is when you may run into not receiving texts.  I have gone for weekend trips and never had any issue until it had expired

Need Help? Let's chat.