Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blocking

Annaek
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Why would I block a call or are they still able to send messages and call me

7 REPLIES 7

@Annaek 

You can enable your call forwarding options to deter your unwanted caller and possibly get some enjoyment out of doing so.....thanks to @Nezgar for his informative thread on the subject.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/Fun-with-Conditional-Call-forwardi...

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@Annaek 

You've already discovered the limits of blocking on phone software.

None of the Canadian operators provide any kind of network-level number blocking to consumers. (Aside from UNCB, which serves a different purpose, and which Telus/Koodo/Public doesn't implement anyhow.)

You can continue to endure unwanted calls.

You can confront the caller.

You can escalate legally (if you're being harassed, etc) so a court confronts the caller.

You can try installing different software (replace the phone's built-in OS apps.)

You can change your number. (Option in Self-Serve, costs nothing.)

I think the final option is the best if the caller cannot be persuaded to stop.

Although you'll have to inform all your contacts of your number change. And the unwanted caller might persist after obtaining your new number through any contacts you both know.

BlueB
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Why would you block a call?  I suppose if there are people/companies/numbers who you don't want ringing your phone.  In general, after blocking them on your phone, your phone will auto-reject phone calls and messages (but depends on the phone).  However, there are a couple things to consider:

1. Known people/numbers/etc that you block will be effective against those specific numbers... spammers, on the other hand, will change their Caller ID just about every call, so even blocking one number won't block the next call/message they do, leading to a lost cause.  In other words, it works just as well to ignore it.
  2. Blocked from your Phone, it isn't blocked by Public Mobile.  In other words, just because your phone rejects the call/message, any forwarding you have set up (ie. Voicemail!) will still function, so rejected calls may still result in junk voicemails.

Hope you're not harassed too much with this... it happens to all of us, sometimes worse than others!  🙂

@Annaek wrote:

I’ve blocked their number but they are still able to text and call me!! 
im trying to end the bad BAD conversation 

Hi @Annaek if you know this person, they will continue to get in touch with you by using another phone number.  So just don't answer the calls whose number you do not recognize.  Also just keep blocking the texts you don't recognize, report it spam

Aloha

RosieR

Spudster
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Annaek 

NEVER answer any calls from numbers/people you either don't recognize or are not on your contact list.  If the person calling you needs you bad enough, they will leave a voice message, if they don't bother leaving one, you likely didn't need to hear from them.

IF YOU DO ANSWER, and the caller is a spammer, it's likely your number will get logged as one which will get answered, so anticipate spam calling to increase (at least in the short term).

@Annaek 

If you BLOCK a caller, it should not ring through on your device.

Advice on unwanted callers would be to NEVER answer them, eventually they will cease calling if you don't answer and respond.

The other option (if you're not overly attached to your number), is to change your Public Mobile number, which can be done once every 30 days through the self-serve site.

Annaek
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I’ve blocked their number but they are still able to text and call me!! 
im trying to end the bad BAD conversation 

Need Help? Let's chat.