cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blackberry OS7

sinc7630
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello, I just transferred with an unlocked Blackberry Bold 9900 running OS7 but I don't get any data.

My TCP IP settings are as follows:

APN Settings Enabled (checked)

APN: sp.mb.com

APN Authentication Enabled (I have tried both checked and unchecked)

Username for APN: [blank]

Password for APN: [blank]

Please assist if possible.

12 REPLIES 12

pakmode
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Lol.  I smile everytime I see a Blackberry thread.

I'm still using BB10...and plan on keeping it for as long as I can lol.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@muixsnxsu FYI this thread has been more than a year since the last previous response.  Also, BB OS7 is not supported for data at Public Mobile as PM does not run a BIS server.  You may be able to get data if you have a corporate-provided BES server, but definitely not without.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

muixsnxsu
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

For proper apn setting in bold 9900 check Blackberry Bold 9900 Manual. And some reasons and solutions behind the error in data are;

• Power off your device completely, then power it back on
  • Make sure you have a network connection
  • Go to Settings > Networks and connections > Mobile network. Make sure Mobile Network and Data Service are ON. Tap on "APN" to make sure you have the proper APN setting setup for your provider. If you still don't have access to mobile data after performing the steps above, then you can try performing a wipe of your BlackBerry Bold. 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

BlackBerry OS7 (and older) was based on a design that made great sense when BlackBerrys were first designed and mobile data was very slow and very expensive.  The way these operating systems work is to funnel all data traffic through a server sitting in one of RIM's data centres.  So if an email or a web page is trying to send you data, it would first go to the BIS server, and that server would compress the data to make it transmit faster and cheaper, and would then forward it to your BlackBerry.  The same for outgoing data from your BB, it would get comrpessed on your phone and then sent to the BIS to decompress and send on to the rest of the internet.  This was great at the time, but required carriers to buy BIS services from RIM to support customers using BlackBerrys. 

In more modern operating systems like iPhone and Android, no such "middle man" is used.  BlackBerry also abandoned the BIS architecture starting with BlackBerry 10 (Z10, Q10, Z3, Z30, etc) and also connect directly to the internet for data.

Unfortunately, as most users on are on one of these more modern operating systems, and it's a cost to the carrier to provide BIS services, it's pretty clear why PM would choose not to provide those services. They've mentioned pretty clearly that you need BB10 or newer.  😞 

Hopefully PM will provide you at least a partial refund, as you've paid for services you can't possibly use (without changing phones, of course).

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@Proebill @sinc7630 The only hope for refund is to send email to PM starting here http://publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help. Be sure to include your account number and phone number and an explanation of what you thought and did.

Small chance, but good luck.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Proebill
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
I have the same issue using a BB Curve. I just got setup yesterday and paid for data which I have now discovered I cannot use. Can I remove data from my plan and receive a credit?

benwarez
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
BIS stands for (Blackberry Internet Service) not offered by PM on os 7 like stated by Chuk

chukdefatey
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire
Exactly what other have said. You need BIS access in order for data to work with BB OS 7 and under and Public Mobile doesn't offer Bis.

benwarez
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
All you can do with BBs OS 7 is calls/SMS Data will only work with Wi-Fi not with PM Mobile Data that use sp.mb.com while BBs use bb.xxxxx.com which is not same like on OS10

Griff
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Ah that makes sense.

I suppose you could remove the data from your plan and save per month unless you have another device?

sinc7630
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks for the reply. I guess I assumed that it would work with OS7 because there is a "how to" section on these forms which speaks to getting data set up on OS7 devices.

Griff
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Hey @sinc7630 

Don't want to be the bearer of bad news here but I don't think you'll be able to get data, on blackberry devices pre-BlackBerry 10 plans were configured especially to give the devices data but I don't think Public Mobile has the ability to do that since they never offered those devices.

If you look under condition 4 of the plans page;

• (4) Data usage is rounded up each session to the nearest 10KB.Data service on BlackBerry smartphones requires the BlackBerry 10 operating system.
Need Help? Let's chat.