cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone using 4G phone on 5G plan

ezl007
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am currently on the 4G plan ($34x3, 60GB data upfront) for 90-days.  Not very keen on a 90-days plan and would like to switch a 30-days plan.  Current 5G offering of $34 for 20GB is a perfect switch.  I am using iPhone 8 and may upgrade later on. Wondering if anyone has been using 4G phone on 5G plan and any issues.

4 REPLIES 4

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

Just remember a couple of things:

1) Plan speed does not mean you connect or have to connect to the associated network. A 3G plan can use the 5G and 4G networks with a capable device.

2) All networks are capable of higher speeds than the artificial throttles allow. E.g. 4G plans are capped at 100Mbps at PM, but the network itself is capable of much faster. I'm on a 5G plan which allows up to 250Mbps, and I've gotten close to that on the 4G network.

tkdmasterg
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I would think that it would just run at your 4G speeds. But with the Black Friday sale it would be good to lock one in for when or if you ever get a 5G phone.

Grand_Total
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I'm just subscribed to a 5G plan (just joined Public Mobile too) with a 4G phone and it works as you would expect. I tested download speed and got just over the full 250Mbps. 

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@ezl007 There are no issues using a 4G phone on a 5G plan. My son did it until he got a 5G phone. The good part is unlimited data at reduced speed after you hit your allotment.

Need Help? Let's chat.