cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazon SIM Card Safety?

NymaA
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello everyone,

I just received my Public Mobile SIM Card that I purchased from Amazon. I bought it from what seems like the official PM vendor (link here) but when I received it, it had a packing list inside which stated that the SIM card was a gift from a person, and their residential address. 

This is a silly question, but if this SIM card was indeed sent to me by this person, would they be able to "hack" into my SIM card once I activated it because they know my SIM card number, my name, and my shipping address? E.g. could they essentially contact PM in the future claiming to be me, by providing all this information, and have my phone number transferred over to another phone?

Any help is much appreciated! 

18 REPLIES 18

ngoduc17

yup.

NymaA

Thank you everyone for all your help! I decided to buy my SIM directly from PM. Have a good night everyone 🙂 

@NymaA wrote:

If they are able to see my Amazon e-mail, would they be able to use that information to access my PM account if I used that same e-mail to activate the SIM card?

Don't use the same email. If you can make an alias and only use that alias for PM. 

You can make an alias for a GMAIL, OUTLOOK.COM, HOTMAIL.COM and many others. 

Or just get a new gmail for PM only. 

And as @darlicious offers a straight exchange in Vancouver I can do same in Maple Ridge or Pitt Meadows.  There is a way to check if it is valid too. Start the activation page and put in the SIM number and then move to the next field. See if an error pops up in red. 

@NymaA 

If you are in Vancouver I will do a straight up socially distant trade of sim cards.

@NymaA 

I have bought way too many sim cards from them....mind you their last shipment is going on 8 business days. Very unusual for Canada Post normally 5 days or less even.

@NymaA wrote:

@RosieR, is Canadian Cell Supplies a reputable and safe site to get SIM cards from?

@NymaA yes, I had bought a number of Public Mobile sim cards from them and faster shipping than PM.  Hurry up and place your order as their supplies go really fast.  Best wishes.

@NymaA just buy one from London drugs or a store. saving $8 and then getting hacked is not worth it...

NymaA

Thanks everyone for your help and input! I decided to go with my gut and err on the side of caution and return the SIM card to Amazon. I'll either buy a SIM directly from PM or from Canadian Cell Supplies. 

@RosieR, is Canadian Cell Supplies a reputable and safe site to get SIM cards from?

@NymaA wrote:

It's weird because it also has a gift note included from the person that shows up on the invoice and the invoice say's that the SIM card is a "gift from: Mr. X" on the exact date that the order was shipped out to me.

I'm overly paranoid because I've heard of porting/SIM card scams happening to people haha do you guys think this seems suspicious that it was an order supposedly fulfilled by Amazon but it has a gift note and an invoice that has the date which the SIM was shipped (i.e. doesn't seem like it was a leftover from a return because the date matches the date that I was told the item shipped).

Hi @NymaA It is super weird!  When you ordered from Amazon, you pay for the purchase before it is shipped.  I have bought a number products from Amazon and I always paid for my purchase before shipping.  If this is so, then you paid for that sim card.

I suggest you contact Amazon and asked about you receiving a gift from a stranger.  Nobody should have accessed to your order.  Amazon should question the integrity of the supplier.

Be paranoid.  How did a stranger know you ordered a Public Mobile sim card from Amazon?  Why would a stranger give a PM sim card gift?  As the proverb says "Be wary of stranger bearing gifts." 

I would suggest not to use that sim card and contact Amazon as I have already mentioned above.  They should know about this.

btw, Canadian Cell Supplies is having a sale on Public Mobile sim card for $1.89 each. 

Stay safe and Happy New Year! 

RosieR 

@NymaA 

you should be cautious because there's a good chance the seller knows your personal info and your sim card number... I suggest buying a new one from the store and giving the amazon sim card to a referral. 

at least this way your identity is secure. 

dude65
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@NymaA .....that seems wierd that you got note  with it since it was "fullfilled by Amazon". Was the envelope/box it was shipped in have any marking on it that it was from Amazon? Fullfilled by Amazon means it came from a warehouse. Like another poster said, I would use a different email address to activate it.

NymaA

It's weird because it also has a gift note included from the person that shows up on the invoice and the invoice say's that the SIM card is a "gift from: Mr. X" on the exact date that the order was shipped out to me.

I'm overly paranoid because I've heard of porting/SIM card scams happening to people haha do you guys think this seems suspicious that it was an order supposedly fulfilled by Amazon but it has a gift note and an invoice that has the date which the SIM was shipped (i.e. doesn't seem like it was a leftover from a return because the date matches the date that I was told the item shipped).

@NymaA As noted, the order was fulfilled by Amazon, so no one sees your data other than Amazon.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

according to the link you send us.. the product is Fulllfiled by Amazon, which mean it should sent from Amazon warehouse:

softech_live_0-1611090082427.png

Amazon should have given you a tracking number.. and it should confirm it comes from an Amazon warehouse.. or the box should have some Amazon warehouse label and tapes (if it is shipped by 3rd party,  then you wouldn't see the Amazon label)

The other address and names you see.. i would assume maybe it is a "returned" item to Amazon warehouse.. or maybe this Coralplus seller doesn't do a very good job in removing tags  (also possible from returned)   before they ship to Amazon 

@NymaA wrote:

If they are able to see my Amazon e-mail, would they be able to use that information to access my PM account if I used that same e-mail to activate the SIM card?

None of this information is really secret. Buying something online requires that information to be submitted. Your Public Mobile account could be activated using different information.

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@NymaA wrote:

You need a separate different password and security questions/answers for your account. Use a gmail alias account (google it, easy) if you are concerned.

NymaA

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@NymaA wrote:

Hello everyone,

I just received my Public Mobile SIM Card that I purchased from Amazon. I bought it from what seems like the official PM vendor (link here) but when I received it, it had a packing list inside which stated that the SIM card was a gift from a person, and their residential address. 

This is a silly question, but if this SIM card was indeed sent to me by this person, would they be able to "hack" into my SIM card once I activated it because they know my SIM card number, my name, and my shipping address? E.g. could they essentially contact PM in the future claiming to be me, by providing all this information, and have my phone number transferred over to another phone?

Any help is much appreciated! 

@NymaA Sold by Modem Outlet brand Public Mobile. Is there a sticker on it asking you to call before activating or a referral code they tell you to use? I would ignore any of that. You are safe to use it. There is no way anyone can know what account and under what email address it would be activated under. I have multiple emails I use for different things. Don't use the same one you ordered the sim with if you are concerned. If you need a referral code to get the $10 credit just ask on here and you will get hundreds lol. Better to pick someone and send a private message.

Need Help? Let's chat.