cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advertisements of PM ?

neo911
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi,

I was just wondering if PM has some sort of non-compete clause with Telus ?

Can't PM at least adopt some basic advertising like in local papers, flyers etc to promote its awesome service and plans ?

Or does the contract with Telus prevent it from doing so ?

What I have realized is people really do not know about PM and hence don't even consider it as an option while looking for mobile service providers.

I have just seen the twitter account of PM tweeting regularly but without any specific details about the plans.

Not sure if this has been discussed before.

6 REPLIES 6

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
@shrimpdude Seems like you nailed it, keep costs as low as possible.

neo911

@stonechucker Yes i have seen their tweets, they do tweet pretty regularly. But as you said they do not directly promote PM. It's more about personal finances. Good to hear you got 3 ppl to shift to PM. I also try and promote them in my circle of friends.

@shrimpdude you nailed it. yes, they are targeting customers which are tech savvy and understand the concept of self-serve account, are active in the community and promote PM in their social circles. I loved how you mentioned ' if you are looking for 'em, you will find 'em'. Applies pretty much to everything in life these days.

shrimpdude

As a low-margin service, they're keeping their costs down and relying heavily on word-of-mouth, which is probably why they have the best referral bonuses around. Also, they seem to be catering to the frugal, tech-savvy customer that can deal with Internet-based support.

The kind of consumer that they'd attract with expensive TV/print ads is probably not one they can realistically take care of with over-the-phone support, etc. It would drive up margins and costs and kind of defeat the purpose of them existing alongside Koodo and Telus.

Basically - if you're looking for 'em, you'll find 'em.

I'm seeing PublicMobile on social media sites.  Twitter is pretty active (Shazia was posting and responding one evening, sent me a SIM card), they have a Facebook page, which also gets some ads.

I've been retweeting and sharing, and have so far one friend refered, a collegue also refered, but he activated before I joined (I was really talking it up), and I've got a third who is just about to activate.

The ads are a bit cartoonish, and not really selling the service, but rather about doing things different, and suggesting a finance friendly environment.

neo911

True..even i stumbled upon PM through reddit page of wind mobile.

if I had not visited that particular post on the reddit page, i would be oblivious to PM.

yes, I hope they do have a strategy and step up on the gas pedal to advertise more.

JaK
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

PM is owned by Telus so I doubt it is a "no compete clause", it's probably more a case of whatever PM wants to do needs to be approved by Telus as it needs to fit in with the overall strategy of the 3 brands (Telus/Koodo/PM). 

Agreed that PM's media presence is very light, mostly word of mouth plus the occasional person that just stumbles across them (like me 🙂 ). It seems to make sense for PM to raise their visibility, but we don't we really don't have enough insight into thier strategy and need to trust that they do.

Need Help? Let's chat.