cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Address Change but my city is invalid

danielgeorge
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am trying to enter an address change and the system is telling me that I am using an INVALID CITY. I know what city I am in. I am in Lacombe Alberta which is certainly a valid city. 

12 REPLIES 12

@Luddite- I do not believe this. There is no way ecomm 911 is going to take the time to contact the provider to get an alleged address (real or not) to try to locate an emergency when calling from a cell phone. No way. So the only thing they can do is use some GPS locating or cellular triangulation. That does not give a specific location nor floor or unit of a multi-family dwelling. Cellular is not a useful emergency calling method. It is up to the caller to provide a location. If they're under some kind of duress or having to be quiet then there's really not much ecomm can do other than maybe gps or triangulation.

@dust2dust wrote:

That address does nothing for the service. Just put anything if you must.

If the on file information is passed to 911 and if your  address and postal is correct then the correct 911 should pick up your call and be able to dispatch...that is...if you are at home. But to put in “any city” throws off the accuracy of address and postal code, doesn’t it? Then...Just put anything if you must....is not a good bit of guidance is it? Leave blank is more logical. 

@Luddite wrote:

@dust2dust wrote:

That address does nothing for the service. Just put anything if you must.

Well not completely nothing. I believe emergency services will attend to your address on file if they can't locate your phone. It's how VoIP works at any rate.

Yes I agree @Luddite as when I had E911 with a voip account I “had” to fill address, give type of structure and entry door just in case there is a suite in the home etc. 

Has any one here called 911 for police, ambulance or fire? If yes, was it a prompt arrival?  I had read about horror stories of E911 with voip.ms. And my SIM is in a ZTE BOX. 

But it’s there when you select a new number?

Then just settle with, that the postal code is right. My city is not their either. At first I thoight it might be the name of the telco district...but no. 

Ie. I am in Maple Ridge

Telco exchange area is called Haney. 

Neither show.

@Luddite wrote:

@dust2dust wrote:

Well not completely nothing. I believe emergency services will attend to your address on file if they can't locate your phone. It's how VoIP works at any rate.

If someone calls 9-11 and hangs up (either if it was a dialing mistake or if it's a prank call), they will call back.  If no one answers or if the phone gets turned off/has no signal (or if no GPS infromation was not available), I agree with you that there's likely a duty for them to send someone to any known location and/or address on file (even for cell phones).

@dust2dust wrote:

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

danielgeorge

Good Idea. I'll think I'll pick somewhere much warmer than the --30 we are having. 😃

benfatto
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@danielgeorge  The system update eliminated many towns and cities from the list. As a prepaid service any city will do. Pick one where you would like to live. 🤣

danielgeorge

Yeah, I know. I just like things to be correct. I think that I'll probably have to do just that. 

Thanks

Meow
Mayor / Maire

You can pick any close by city but this is just formality (I guess required by law) as PM never uses not references your address.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Need Help? Let's chat.