cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding an iPad to my account

smartbe1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello, my ipad has 3G capabilities. I would like to get a SIM card and share the data plan that I have for my iphone. Everything I have read indicates you need a phone number and have to have a second account...of course with an iPad I will not have a phone number. And I do not want to pay additional fees for a second account, when I still have so much left over every month in my existing iPhone account. Is there anything that can be done? Thank you. 

15 REPLIES 15

smartbe1

Thank you, the wifi is working again. I had originally taken it to the Apple store, Genius Bar and they had done a factory reset and software installation. It did not resolve the issue and actually rendered the device as a paperweight because all the existing apps could not reload. I ended up taking it to a local computer repair store and they figured out that it was an app (Nord VPN) that had upgraded and was no longer compatible with the iPad. So it kept trumping to open the app and blocked all other wifi from happening. We deleted the app and I had wifi back. When I got home I reloaded the app using the last compatible version and it is all working fine now. 

@AE_Collector wrote:

Cant some devices be tethered on blue tooth rather than Wi-Fi? Maybe blue tooth works on the iPad still?

While that's possible on some devices, I'm not sure that someone would want to. Bluetooth connections are generally very slow.

Cant some devices be tethered on blue tooth rather than Wi-Fi? Maybe blue tooth works on the iPad still?

AE_Collector

smartbe1

Thanks for the ideas but...No, to any work being done. Yes, to all the trouble shooting, including factory reset and re-installing the software. 

@smartbe1 wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion but it is an older iPad and because it can no longer be upgraded program wise, hotspot is not an option. 

Hotspot would work if your iPad wifi works. 

If your wifi does not work on iPad have you:

Ever had any work done on iPad like new battery or screen or?

.....If yes then someone may not have properly reconnected the antenna 

Have airplane mode turned on?

.....If yes switch it off

Have you goggled the issue?

.....Any resets suggested?

At wits end?

.....Do a full reset on it. But back it up first. 

smartbe1

Thanks for the suggestion but it is an older iPad and because it can no longer be upgraded program wise, hotspot is not an option. 

@LurganIeUk their WiFi function is not working and currently only option is for a data Sim

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

You can make your iPhone, with a Data plan, into a hotspot and your iPad can use data from iPhone. Still, though, not using the SIM option in the iPad. 

As mentioned there is no data sharing options here and with no wifi functioning in your iPad tethering is it of the question.  I would have the iPad looked at because always having to use data for a tablet could get very expensive.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@smartbe1 wrote:

My iPad lost the ability to use wifi. I had it checked out with the Apple store. They suggested the 3G option. 

The Apple store just have customer service reps. They do not do repairs so how would they know you had a hardware problem. Try googling for solutions. Have you tried a factory reset.

https://www.lifewire.com/ipad-wont-connect-to-internet-4176824

@smartbe1 wrote:

My iPad lost the ability to use wifi. I had it checked out with the Apple store. They suggested the 3G option. 

I see a new iPad in your future !  😷

smartbe1

smartbe1

But the iPad will not have a phone number, so how would that even work? 

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@smartbe1 

You need a separate account, therefore another sim for the iPad. You cannot share one account between 2 devices unless you swap the sim in and out.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@smartbe1 , what you are thinking of doing is not possible.  Public Mobile does not have share plans where the data in a plan can be shared with two devices via separate SIM cards.  What you can do is WiFi tether the devices and share data that way.  

Need Help? Let's chat.