cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activation issue

PublicNewb
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am trying to activate my account. I'm being told that a code is going to be sent to a phone number that isn't my number - so I can't get that code to get full access. I'm not sure whats going on.

21 REPLIES 21

Andy85
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@PublicNewb No worries. I would try powering my phone off and on again. If the 6 digit code is not received, try switching the SIM to see if the 6 digit code when sent to the other SIM card instead. 

If the porting process got stuck, I can send you a phone number to help retrigger the step. I will have to send you the number via private message in your community inbox because the public community inbox does not allow phone numbers to be posted.

Salam1

@PublicNewb Did you get a text message to your phone asking to confirm if you want to transfer your number?

If yes, then you need to respond "Yes" to that (it only lasts 90 minutes) and insert the new SIM.

If no, then you need to submit a ticket and a CS agent will help to re-initiate the port request.

Salam1

@Andy85 exactly, and we also get points for staying loyal. Wish we saw more of that in other services we use everyday, like internet for example.

PublicNewb

Sorry - got called away. I have a physical sim from PM; I have not inserted it yet as during the set up process it states that you should wait until the number has been ported. I have the same message as Salam1 had, but I think that they had the option to enter their old information (number/account number) during activation, whereas I was never presented with that option, or didn't see it on the app interface. I think that I have the same, but reverse issue as they had. I really need to keep my current number - so I hope that I can port it even after activation is fully completed.

Andy85

@Salam1 Lol, I'll never understand why some companies do that. Really boggles my mind. 

One of my coworkers left her cellphone company because they were offering a great plan but it was only for new activations. After she left, she returned the next day just so she would be entitled to the deal. It's crazy that customers need to bend over backwards just to get a deal, meanwhile we've been loyal for years. 

Salam1

@Andy85 Yup you're right about that. My son has been with Public Mobile since January of this year, and never had any issues since. He also switched to the black Friday promo, unlike Koodo which limits it to new customers only.

Andy85

@Salam1 That is amazing! As you probably know with your family's service, these technical issues do not occur often with Public Mobile. I feel like new users might get the wrong impression following their initial experience. I've been with Public Mobile for 4 years and have never had to contact customer support once. I think you'll be in the clear once you get past this situation. 

Salam1

@Andy85 Thank you, I appreciate it. Yes I am very relieved. It was quite a lengthy process but in the end, I'm glad I made the switch to Public Mobile from Koodo. Our whole family is on Public Mobile now.

Andy85

@Salam1 Exactly, during the porting process, the new carrier (Public Mobile) gives you a temporary phone number up until the full switch takes place. I'm glad that Customer Service was able to identify the issue though. I am happy for you and you must be relieved! Let us know if there is anything else we can help you with. I can provide you some extra details in your community inbox as well.

Salam1

@Andy85 yes this was the issue I was facing, except it was sending it to a number I don't have. I have since found out it is being sent to a temporary phone number that gets created during the porting process.

Anyways, another CS agent reached out to me and realized my plan was suspended. She reactivated it and now all services are working as normal.

There is a delay on their end with updating the phone number for security verification purposes, and it takes 24 - 72 hours. But I can use the phone as expected during this time. Only logging into the app is not possible until that phone number gets reset to my actual phone number.

Andy85

Was this the issue you were getting?

Andy85_0-1701218759200.png

If so, I believe the 6 digit code should be sent to the active phone number if you decided to keep your existing phone number. So to retrieve your 6 digit code, you would have to switch back to your other SIM (IE: Rogers SIM Card)

Salam1

@Andy85  I submitted a ticket. It was originally for an issue with my eSIM activation, and I've been going back and forth with this particular CS agent since yesterday on this issue.

In the end, I bought a SIM card, but now this problem is preventing me from completing the activation.

Andy85

Hi @Salam1,

Are you using the Chat Bot or did you submit a ticket to Customer Service? 

Also, did you try to switch the SIM cards from your phone to see if that could initiate the texts?

Salam1

I have the same exact problem. The CS agent is not able to help me or hasn't understood the problem I'm facing.

Andy85

@PublicNewb Are you using an eSIM or Physical SIM card?

PublicNewb

My old sim is still in my phone. I was prompted to leave it in until my number is ported.

PublicNewb

It doesn't give me that option. There is a message that states this:

"We’ve noticed you have an active Public Mobile service and would like to confirm your full access.
A 6 digit code associated with your EverSafe ID will be sent to
phone number
. We will need you to confirm this number."

and then a button that states, Confirm for full access.

Andy85

@PublicNewb Did you try switching your old sim card into your phone to see if the code was sent there instead?

PublicNewb

No code received.

Andy85

Hi @PublicNewb

It is possible that it is a temporary phone number during the porting process since you are temporary in limbo with 2 providers. Did you end up getting the code?

Sansan
Mayor / Maire

Trigger the code again and swich to send to email instead.

Need Help? Let's chat.