cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activate New SIM Card from over seas

dwfurlong
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, I am currently travelling and want to transfer my phone plan from Telus to Public but physically not in Canada for at least a few months. All I really need is voicemail that I can access from here.

Do I need to have the actual SIM Card to do this or can I activate the service and then deal with the SIM card when I get home. 

Thanks very much.

David

5 REPLIES 5

@cellphoneuser1 

Thanks, corrected the number.

@BKNS27 wrote:

@dwfurlong 

Yes you will need a actual SIM card number to create an account. A 12 digit SIM card number is required to activate and create an account.

Since PM is under the Telus umbrella, it will be straight forward to port your old number over to PM.

As noted by @cellphoneuser1, to complete the porting, you will need the Telus SIM in your phone so you can reply to the text confirming you are porting over to PM…there will be 90 minute window for you to reply with YES to complete the porting then power off your phone and swap the SIM and power the phone back on.

You need to be in Canada to make it easier to complete the porting process and to receive the text.

The SIM card number is 19 digts.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@dwfurlong 

You need someone you trust in Canada with a new pm sim card who can either activate the sim card for you or send you the sim card # so you can activate it. They would need to put your pm sim card in their phone to ensure the services fully activated and set up your voicemail.

You could port your telus number in afterwards thru your self serve account. If you are unable to recieve the PAT (porting authorization text) to reply YES within 90 minutes of recieving it you will have to call telus immediately after submitting the port request to verbally authorize the port.

After you successfully port your number in you can access your voice mail by calling your phone number and pressing "*" once your voicemail connects and entering your voice mail pin #. If you are going to pay for service ($15 plan) then you might as well have your friend or family member with your sim card call forward your pm phone # to a voip provider app like textnow or fongo. Once downloaded choose a canadian phone # that your pm phone # can be forwarded to.....then your pm calls will ring thru to you voip provider app on your phone while on wifi or mobile data from a local sim card. Voice messages will be on your voip app's voicemail. Or you can just use the voip app to call your pm number to retrieve voicemail and/or call friends and family at home for free.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@dwfurlong 

Yes you will need a actual SIM card number to create an account. A 19 digit SIM card number is required to activate and create an account.

Since PM is under the Telus umbrella, it will be straight forward to port your old number over to PM.

As noted by @cellphoneuser1, to complete the porting, you will need the Telus SIM in your phone so you can reply to the text confirming you are porting over to PM…there will be 90 minute window for you to reply with YES to complete the porting then power off your phone and swap the SIM and power the phone back on.

You need to be in Canada to make it easier to complete the porting process and to receive the text.

cellphoneuser1
Mayor / Maire

@dwfurlong wrote:

Hi, I am currently travelling and want to transfer my phone plan from Telus to Public but physically not in Canada for at least a few months. All I really need is voicemail that I can access from here.

Do I need to have the actual SIM Card to do this or can I activate the service and then deal with the SIM card when I get home. 

Thanks very much.

David

You don't need the SIM card with you to actiate but you need to know the numbers on it. You can activate it if you get a family member to relay the information to you.   For the number port, you can get the family member to respond YES to a Telus messsage to approve the port.  For hearing your voicemail messages, call your number from another phone.

Need Help? Let's chat.