cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

855 scam calls in Chinese daily

bluejaywpg
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Is anyone getting 1 or 2 calls from an 855 toll free area code every single day with a prerecorded Chinese voice? Really annoyed by this.

Is there anything PM can do? I'm assuming not.

I just now enabled blocking of spam, scam. & suspect numbers. Does anyone else have that enabled on their android (or iOS) phone? Do you find that it works well?

8 REPLIES 8

@bluejaywpg 

no option just ignore and delete them.

bluejaywpg

@CountyDownIeUk I have been thinking about looking into if it's possible to do exactly that on my Android phone, & how to do that. The thing is that I get very few (legit) calls as it is, since I do most of my communication over internet methods like social media or email etc. And yes, directing them to voice mail is very important since I do get the occasional legit call that may not be in my contacts.

bluejaywpg

@Timer no, blocking won't work because the culprits call from randomly-generated spoofed phone numbers that are different every time. Many of the numbers use the same 1st 6 digits as my number (same area code & exchange).

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@bluejaywpg 

Lately there is an option 1 for English a 2 for Chinese. 

We have iPhones and here is how we avoid:

1. Build a complete best ever contacts list** and keep adding to it. 

2. Go to Settings, Focus, Do Not Disturb (DND), and set to only allow calls from your contacts list. 

3. Allow notifications from Messages, FaceTime, And email....adjust yours accordingly 

4. Set up voice mail to request name and number of caller. Just in case you missed a contact. 

5. You can still get voice mail from these callers. Your choice to listen to or not. 

6. Check your Recents and block accordingly. 

**Best ever includes any businesses, friends, lovers and Xs. Etc 

Any undesirables that call you AND are in your contacts by leaving them in your contacts you will see the name that is calling you. Answer, don’t answer, consider leaving in contacts but block the number as well. 

JL9
Mayor / Maire

I don't get those but every once in awhile i will get a handful of calls all on the same day from same area code as me, usually the tax or border services scam where they all have thick Indian accents.. If I answer I just fukc with them 

Timer
Mayor / Maire

@bluejaywpg 

just blocker this number and PM can't do anything..

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@bluejaywpg , this is a whack a mole game.  These spam calls come from spoofed numbers.  So it would be next to impossible for any carrier to do anything preemptively.  

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@bluejaywpg yes I think we all get them, not alot Public can seem to do about it, some of the scam blocker apps may help 

Need Help? Let's chat.