cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G

gbranscombe1963
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I have a 5G plan and I am not getting 5 g on the network. 

38 REPLIES 38

Just Not sure if the 5G Unlimited Data system would apply in this situation 

Here's what I was told by a PM CSA

To answer your question, if your device has 5G capability but for some reason is not compatible with the correct 5G radio frequencies, you will still be able to connect your phone to 4G LTE speed.

gbranscombe1963

Yes, I am getting 4g. I got a 5g 30-day plan.. 5 g on PM uses 5(850) band and my phone can use that from what I can see

@hTideGnow , I am not fully certain, and Any 5G phone needs to Support the Very Specific Radio Frequencies PM is using

That is very tricky 

NP. The issue would be, Do you still have access to Data if Not on the 5G speeds, 4G LTE/ Advanced Speeds very least? If not, You better talk to a PM CSA and explore your options, as the Plan Cost is not cheap even under 90 day, if on the Higher Tier 5G Plan, and having to switch to a 4G LTE/ Advanced Speeds Plan would cost you even more if switching Immediately 

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/check-your-phones-compatibility

A PM CSA shared this link

Also, Check the GSMArena site and look at the 5G phones you own, that way you can have a Rough idea on if Compatibility is yes or no 

gbranscombe1963

No biggie. Thanks for your help

If confirmed, You could be Out of that Money as PM being Prepaid, Unless PM makes a one-time exception 

gbranscombe1963

Mine is the SM-G986U

gbranscombe1963

Is that compatible with PM? 

gbranscombe1963

You could be right. How do I contact them? 

My thought, if Phone bought in US, Might Not be Compatible with the PM 5G LTE

If that is the Case, that might be the Culprit

Better Contact a PM CSA to confirm

thanks @makkahn28 they are all PM compatible 5G bands?

This what I see in the GSMArena site for that Phone Network Freqencies for 5G

5G bands1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 28, 40, 77, 78 SA/NSA/Sub6 - SM-G986B
 2, 5, 41, 66, 71, 260, 261 SA/NSA/Sub6/mmWave - SM-G986U

This what I see in Wiki

Also, these from GSMArena for under Motorola Moto Edge+ 2023

5G bands1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 12, 14, 20, 25, 26, 28, 29, 30, 38, 41, 41, 48, 66, 70, 71, 77, 78 SA/NSA/Sub6/mmWave

600 MHz DDn71NR5GNon-standalone mode. Being actively deployed in several markets alongside n78.
1.7/2.1 GHz Extended AWSn66First generation 5G network (Non-standalone mode).
3.5 GHz C-Bandn78[26]

gbranscombe1963

Yes I look on the coverage map and I am in the 5G 3500 zone. It is greyed out. Maybe Verizon greyed it out for a reason. 

Hi @gbranscombe1963 but where you are? you sure  you have 5G where you are? Your network mode should not be greyed out

gbranscombe1963

So what does PM use a frequencies and I can check my phone to see if it does. Thanks 

Hi @makkahn28 

true.  but US model of Samsung 5G would work here 

and BTW, what are theb5G bands here for PM network? we have the information for 3G and 4G, not 5G

gbranscombe1963

I have no idea. 

gbranscombe1963

Like I have stated my Network Mode says automatic and I can't change it because it is greyed out. 

gbranscombe1963

It is greyed out on my phone. Yes I have a 5g plan 

PM needs to really lay out that info, as PM being a BYOD, Not all 5G Phones have the same 5G Spectrum Frequencies

@gbranscombe1963 @hTideGnow @esjliv , Here's the question to ask

The 5G Spectrum Frequency PM/ Telus is using, is it the same as what the US is using, or different?

hi @gbranscombe1963 did you chexk coverage map to see if where you are now has 5G ?

for network mode 

1. Slide two fingers downwards starting from the top of the screen.
  2. Press Mobile networks.
  3. Press Network mode.
  4. Press the required network mode. There may be different network modes available depending on where you are.

hi @gbranscombe1963 the network mode shouldn't be greyed out.  

And you have 5G plan?

gbranscombe1963

No it has 5 G Samsung Galaxy S20+ 5g phone 

Need Help? Let's chat.