Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G vs 5G

Cliffy1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

How much faster is 5G, really?

6 REPLIES 6

@DennyCrane wrote:

For 99% of the typical use on a phone, there's no practical difference (it's just marketing).

Even typical 4K resolution streaming service video, which is the most bandwidth extensive thing that I believe that most use the bandwidth on, needs only about 25Mbps to stream properly.  Unless you're transferring large amounts of files, speeds higher than that 25Mbps are really going to enable more people to use the connection at the same time.  Usually, the data on a cell phone plan is only being used by one person at a time (unless using hotspot).

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

For 99% of the typical use on a phone, there's no practical difference (it's just marketing).

@Cliffy1 , are you referring to the architecture or the speed tier for the various plans?  Either way, you can still connect to the 5G network where available.  In real world application you won't be able to tell the difference.  Keep your mobile network settings on 5G preferred.

It's not much different in the real world usage. You will not notice things loading faster or slower on both. I mainly use 4G/LTE just because 5G is not any better and it uses more battery power since it will switch more often when you move around to different places. 

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Cliffy1 

user traffic or even location can adversely affect either. Best is to ask someone in your area who has 5G for their opinion.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Cliffy1  4G is up to 100mbs 5G is up to 250mbs so in perfect world  it’s twice as fast in optimal conditions but that’s really the case one sites under a cell tower while rest of Canada is sleeping . In reality it may only take a webpage to load 1-2 seconds longer on 4G 

Need Help? Let's chat.