Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G Speed

Zaza1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

What 4G Plans are available?

24 REPLIES 24

Presumably your phone may need to download the current maps on the fly whereas if your phone is tied to your vehicles navigation system the maps are there already so just traffic updates would use data. 

Off topic, does anyone know of a way to update maps on the older Honda GPS navigation systems other than paying in excess of $200 Canadian for new maps that are mailed on a CD apparently? Private Message me please if you have any knowledge....

AE_Collector

@DOA wrote:

@Zaza1 wrote:

Thank you.

Would this speed work for GPS Navagation without problems?

GPS Nav works of satellites, not data.  You can prove this by removing your sim card--your GPS will still work.

GPS will be used to set the location, but navigation programs will need a base map to get you where you want to go. Real time information like traffic info, construction alerts and integrated weather advisories will use data.

Zaza1

@DOA wrote:

@Zaza1 wrote:

Thank you.

GPS Nav works of satellites, not data.  You can prove this by removing your sim card--your GPS will still work.

Thanks I did not know that. I always put my data on if I am checking a route or destination.

@krazykiwi wrote:

@AE_Collector wrote:

@krazykiwi 

Yes, something THAT DOES work perfectly every time in Self Serve! I've switched many times in my first year here. I bet I've switched plans 6 times now.

AE_Collector

I know some people have troubles but I switched plans too several times, bought add-ons and changed credit cards and never had any issues.

As a preventative measure to avoid service interuption when I had a plan change scheduled, I've always added the full plan cost of the more expensive plan manually before the renewal. (I have up and down graded so many times in the past 3 years that I stopped counting...) Knock on wood, never had a problem.

DOA
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Zaza1 wrote:

Thank you.

@AE_Collector wrote:

@krazykiwi 

Yes, something THAT DOES work perfectly every time in Self Serve! I've switched many times in my first year here. I bet I've switched plans 6 times now.

AE_Collector

I know some people have troubles but I switched plans too several times, bought add-ons and changed credit cards and never had any issues.

@krazykiwi 

Yes, something THAT DOES work perfectly every time in Self Serve! I've switched many times in my first year here. I think that I've switched plans 6 times now. The ability to switch up and down through various amounts of included data was the biggest draw for me in switching to public Mobile. We almost live full time at our cabin from spring through September and my only other option was to have internet installed there. Instead I bump both of our phones up to 5Gb and all is good. 

AE_Collector

@Zaza1 wrote:

My current plan is with PM the $30... Hence all the questions if I should upgade to the $40. 

As @AE_Collector said give the $30 plan a try for a 30 day period, If it is sufficient stay with it or like suggested go to the $25 plan and give it a try. Pm is great like that, you can switch plans on renewal easily and without having to be on the phone for hours trying to get a rep to do it for you. 

@Zaza1 wrote:

@Triguy wrote:

For most daily use 3G is sufficient to acess  websites and check email. It is only if you stream high quality video like  4K or high quality music that you may notice a difference.

Would this support GPS Navigation and automobile system?  

If you download the base map where you're driving before you leave the house (on WiFi), the updating uses very little data resources to update real time information like traffic jams etc. The GPS location finder is a unit that can work independently from data.

This works flawlessly for me on a Public Mobile LTE light (= "3G speed") plan.

(There are people on other providers that even use their GPS with a 128kbps connection... Personally I'd not go there, but to each their own.)

You could switch to the $25 1Gb plan, save $5, have unlimited Canada calling and texting rather than data only but you drop from LTE data to 3G like speeds. You need to have AutoPay enabled to get the 1Gb rather than only 500Mb on the $25 plan.

The good news is you can schedule a plan change for your next renewal to give it a try and you will be still be able to schedule a switch back to your existing PM LTE data plan if you want to as it is still available! Most people contemplating a change within PM from an existing LTE plan can't go back as all other LTE plans have been discontinued.

Or if you decide you really want to jump up to the $40 5Gb plan you can schedule that for your next renewal. Plan changes are very easy to do and can be done every month without losing anything by scheduling for "next renewal" rather than "change right away".

AE_Collector

Zaza1

My current plan is with PM the $30... Hence all the questions if I should upgade to the $40. 

@Zaza1 wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@Zaza1  Only the $30/1gb data only plan currently offers 4G.

This is what I have now. I was told I need a higher GB data plan.

I agree with @AE_Collector, i think the plan you have will suffice if that is all you are using it for. The beauty about PM is no overage charges. If the 1 Gb is not enough it will just stop working and then you will know that it is not enough.

The PM Data only plan IS a data only plan for tablets presumably? Maybe it can be put on a phone giving no voice or text capability? is your current plan with PM or someone else?

You are specifically beginning to use gps navigation within the phone or linked to a vehicle just now and we're told you will need more data? Again no expert here, but I don't think you likely will. If going over your limit is the main fear, that doesn't happen with PM as it is prepaid. If you run out of included data it just stops working until you buy some more or wait for your plan renewal date.

AE_Collector

Zaza1

@darlicious wrote:

This is what I have now. I was told I need a higher GB data plan.

Zaza1

@Triguy wrote:

For most daily use 3G is sufficient to acess  websites and check email. It is only if you stream high quality video like  4K or high quality music that you may notice a difference.

Would this support GPS Navigation and automobile system?  

No expert on that at all but someone else will be. I believe gos navigation uses virtually no data at all so I can't imagine it being a problem. My car navigation links to my PM phone plan and works great!

AE_Collector

Zaza1

Thank you.

@Zaza1 wrote:

I need 4MB on 4G LTE. What is the best plan should I get?

Isn't one here at PM. Though technically you can say the $40 / 5Gb PM plan meets your needs as it WILL be on the TELUS LTE network but throttled to 3Mb download speed.

AE_Collector

Zaza1

@AE_Collector wrote:

I noticed no difference switching from a TELUS LTE plan to Public Mobiles plan capped at 3 Mb Data speed with what I use data for. Many think they need much more speed than they really do. You can get a sim, activate a new PM number and switch between both services by moving the sims in the phone. If PM is acceptable and a decent saving of $$, you can then port your number in to the already active PM account.

AE_Collector 

This sound great. I will explore this option. Thank you. 

Zaza1

@mimmo wrote:

@Zaza1  all plans are 4g,  Public uses the LTE network for all plans. the 3g plans are just capped at 3Mbs.  this speed is actually quite decent for most people.

I need 4MB on 4G LTE. What is the best plan should I get?

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

I noticed no difference switching from a TELUS LTE plan to Public Mobiles plan capped at 3 Mb Data speed with what I use data for. Many think they need much more speed than they really do. You can get a sim, activate a new PM number and switch between both services by moving the sims in the phone. If PM is acceptable and a decent saving of $$, you can then port your number in to the already active PM account.

AE_Collector 

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Zaza1  all plans are 4g,  Public uses the LTE network for all plans. the 3g plans are just capped at 3Mbs.  this speed is actually quite decent for most people.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

Need Help? Let's chat.