cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G Data & VoLTE

B12
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hello,

I'm very interested in the offer by PM for 20GB of 4G data BUT I also know that PM does not have VoLTE so my question is if I have data on and I make or get a call will the data turn itself off during a call or will I get 3G data while on calls?

I seem to recall when I was using PM before that when I got called my data would turn itself off during the call, this was on a 3G data plan though not a 4G data plan which at the time PM did not offer.

Thanks for anyone's time. 🙂

3 REPLIES 3

Kristowhy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@B12 wrote:

Ah okay, thanks for the info. I think I'll stick to my current carrier for now, I prefer the faster data and the bonus is I do have VoLTE. 😄

If voice calls are important, then yeah, I would keep your VoLTE based carrier for now, but check back here over the coming months as there have been a few rumours about possible VoLTE finally coming to PM very soon. 

Koodo postpaid has VoLTE support if you are not already with them or are looking for a cheaper Telus based option.

B12
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Ah okay, thanks for the info. I think I'll stick to my current carrier for now, I prefer the faster data and the bonus is I do have VoLTE. 😄

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@B12 wrote:

Hello,

I'm very interested in the offer by PM for 20GB of 4G data BUT I also know that PM does not have VoLTE so my question is if I have data on and I make or get a call will the data turn itself off during a call or will I get 3G data while on calls?

@B12   Yes, when you are on calls, the phone will automatically switch to 3G network and your data will be using 3G as well while you are on the call

@B12 wrote:

I seem to recall when I was using PM before that when I got called my data would turn itself off during the call, this was on a 3G data plan though not a 4G data plan which at the time PM did not offer.

Data can travel on 3G network while voice call is on.  If you experience that, it is either a very weak 3G network for data in that particular location or it is a device problem.  Again, data channel should not be turned off while a call is ongoing on the 3G network

Need Help? Let's chat.