cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$40/4GB Plan - getting $10/month price INCREASE!

alohaya
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Just got this text message from Public Mobile. They are raising my plan price by $10/month, trying to get me to switch to Koodo. Anyone else got this text? 

Public Mobile here. Starting March 20th, 2018 your rate plan price will increase by $10 per 30 days, making your plan $150 for 90 days. But don't worry! Our sister brand, Koodo, has a way for you to keep your $40 price point. Until March 15th, 2018, join Koodo and get 4GB of data, unlimited text and now additionally get UNLIMITED CANADA-WIDE minutes for $40/month PLUS get a one-time $100 bill credit! Offer valid for xxxxxxxxxxx. Redeem at your nearest Koodo location or London Drugs or online at https://koo.do/gocustomer-service. Show this msg and use promo code GOKOODO404GB to redeem along with 2 pieces of ID. Your phone number is your validation code. You're included on the list for Public Mobile offers and deals. To be excluded, reply unsubscribe. Conditions apply.

1,433 REPLIES 1,433

Tallguy11
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@WearySkywrote:

@mjswrote:

I have been reading all the postings so far and i have not noticed any postings that dig into what you can do (other than complaing and suing).

This is no longer about service terms and wireless code.

A hint to many poeple out there: if you have provided your credit card and were charged, then you can do a lot.

Public Mobile's service terms and wireless code and everything else put aside, you as a consumer have the right to contact your bank and revoke authorization/ chargeback. It is simple to do that but you need to know why you can do and have all the legal right to do.

When you obtain services from anywhere, you expect to receive those services at an agreed upon cost/ price. If that cost/ price changes without consent, then now you are dealing with the concumer potection act. 

Just one small thing to point out - nobody is being charged more for a service they've already paid for.  Everybody on the $120/12GB plan is getting EXACTLY what they paid for, right up till the end of their current 90 day plan.  The price increase only takes effect at the start of the next period.  There definitely appears to be at least some level of false advertisement/bait and switch/etc here (well, sort of, being offered the same base rate plan at Koodo kinda muddies the waters a little bit), but doing a chargeback on your next payment when you were notified WELL in advance of the price change seems like it's not going to go very far.

being a merchant my self i will tell u this.. chargebacks always go in favor of the customer..very little a merchant can do againt it as if they disagree their processor will cancel their agreement and hold all funds due to them.. also once one processor cancels them no other processor will do business with them again...

schwing
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

The CRTC IS GOING TO HEAR ABOUT THIS. UNLESS TGEY RESOLVE THIS IMMEDIATELY. LIES AND CONTRACT FRAUD. 

schwing

The CRTC would eat this up. 

ahoplock

This is a message for a Public Mobile moderator or representative. In order to comply with the requirements for submitting a complaint to CCTS, I am advising you that I would like to keep my current plan with 12GB / 90 days at $120 minus My Rewards that I have had since the Fall 2016 Promo.

Per your own promotional material and answers to customers:
"If you have signed up for the promotional plan, you will be able to keep it after the promo period, as long as you are an active customer. This means that, as long as you are an active customer on this plan, your plan price will remain at $120, even after your initial 90 days. No surprises". Link to website to this quote: https://productioncommunity.publicmobil ... td-p/77350

Please contact me directly to discuss the matter further. If you do not respond within a 24 hr time frame I will assume that you reject all communication on this topic and I will proceed to file a complaint to the CCTS.

repatch

Dear Public Mobile,

This is a formal attempt to resolve a complaint with regard to the $10/month price increase, as was sent to me via a text from "5133" on February 15, 2018. 

When I signed up for Public Mobile service, my primary motivator was the clause in the fine print that stated that I will be able to retain "$120 / 3-months" rate indefinitely with "no surprises". Public Mobile was a relatively new company, and I took a risk by being a pioneer with this plan. 

This price increase is inconsistent and not what was promised when the advertisement indicated the following "If you have signed up for the promotional plan, you will be able to keep it after the promo period, as long as you are an active customer. This means that, as long as you are an active customer on this plan, your plan price will remain at $120, even after your initial 90 days. No surprises". Link to your website stating this quote: https://productioncommunity.publicmobil ... mited-time...

Please contact me directly via Phone or Email to resolve this issue. Please be advised I will attempt to pursue resolution of this complaint via the CCTS and the Better Business Bureau shortly if I do not hear back within 24 hours.

Thank you.

schwing

What the he'll is going on here.  This is outrageous. I would like public mobile to tell me  as well what they're are doing. The catch would eat this up. This is outright fraud I am passed 

WearySky
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@mjswrote:

I have been reading all the postings so far and i have not noticed any postings that dig into what you can do (other than complaing and suing).

A hint to many poeple out there: if you have provided your credit card and were charged, then you can do a lot.

Public Mobile's service terms and wireless code and everything else put aside, you as a consumer have the right to contact your bank and revoke authorization/ chargeback. It is simple to do that but you need to know why you can do and have all the legal right to do.

When you obtain services from anywhere, you expect to receive those services at an agreed upon cost/ price. If that cost/ price changes without consent, then now you are dealing with the concumer potection act. 

Just one small thing to point out - nobody is being charged more for a service they've already paid for.  Everybody on the $120/12GB plan is getting EXACTLY what they paid for, right up till the end of their current 90 day plan.  The price increase only takes effect at the start of the next period.  There definitely appears to be at least some level of false advertisement/bait and switch/etc here (well, sort of, being offered the same base rate plan at Koodo kinda muddies the waters a little bit), but doing a chargeback on your next payment when you were notified WELL in advance of the price change seems like it's not going to go very far.

Tallguy11

This is a message for a Public Mobile moderator or representative. In order to comply with the requirements for submitting a complaint to CCTS. I am advising you that I would like to keep my current plan with 12GB / 90 days at $120 minus My Rewards that I have had since the Fall 2016 Promo.

"If you have signed up for the promotional plan, you will be able to keep it after the promo period, as long as you are an active customer. This means that, as long as you are an active customer on this plan, your plan price will remain at $120, even after your initial 90 days. No surprises". Link to website to this quote: https://productioncommunity.publicmobil ... td-p/77350

Please contact me directly to discuss the matter further. If you do not respond within a 24 hr time frame I will assume that you reject all communication on this topic and I will proceed to file a complaint to the CCTS..

Heteeh

This is a message for a Public Mobile moderator or representative. In order to comply with the requirements for submitting a complaint to CCTS. I am advising you that I would like to keep my current plan with 12GB / 90 days at $120 minus My Rewards that I have.

"If you have signed up for the promotional plan, you will be able to keep it after the promo period, as long as you are an active customer. This means that, as long as you are an active customer on this plan, your plan price will remain at $120, even after your initial 90 days. No surprises". Link to website to this quote: https://productioncommunity.publicmobil ... td-p/77350

Please contact me directly to discuss the matter further. If you do not respond within a 24 hr time frame I will assume that you reject all communication on this topic and I will proceed to file a complaint to the CCTS.

Flowblax

Dear Public Mobile,

This is a formal attempt to resolve a complaint with regard to the $10/month price increase, as was sent to me via a text from "5133" on February 15, 2018. 

When I signed up for Public Mobile service, my primary motivator was the clause in the fine print that stated that I will be able to retain "$120 / 3-months" rate indefinitely with "no surprises". Public Mobile was a relatively new company, and I took a risk by being a pioneer with this plan. 

This price increase is inconsistent and not what was promised when the advertisement indicated the following "If you have signed up for the promotional plan, you will be able to keep it after the promo period, as long as you are an active customer. This means that, as long as you are an active customer on this plan, your plan price will remain at $120, even after your initial 90 days. No surprises". Link to your website stating this quote:   https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/UPDATE-Last-day-to-get-our-limited-time...

Please contact me directly via Phone or Email to resolve this issue. Please be advised I will attempt to pursue resolution of this complaint via the CCTS and the Better Business Bureau shortly if I do not hear back within 24 hours.

Thank you. 

Nick

ute1978

@mjswrote:

- Be ready to contact your bank and revoke authorzation/ chargeback if necessary

pm2.PNG

@kav2001c From the ToS: "Prepaid service credits are non-refundable. After ninety days with no active rate plan, your account will be automatically deactivated."

https://publicmobile.ca/pdfs/Public_Mobile_Terms_of_Service.pdf

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

tingtingting09

Thank you!

I will be filing a complaint at CCTS about Public Mobile's fee increase if they don't contact me to resolve my complaint.

pakmode

If you don't think you are all making an impact by filing a complaint against Public Mobile with the CCTS - well you are dead wrong.  Every single complaint counts. 

In 2016 the CCTS took a TOTAL of 9097 complaints. 

Only 104 of these complaints were against Public Mobile, 631 complaints were against Telus and only 263 against Koodo. 

My estimation is that the CCTS has probably received 1500 complaints against Public Mobile in the last 24 hours alone.  Each and every complaint is going to have a damaging impact on the reputation of Telus. They can no longer call themselves a top-rated company in customer service. They will need a team of people too triage and address each of these complaints to the satisfaction of the CCTS and to us, the customer. 

Each complaint requires a written response and investigation from Telus/PM.

This is a terrible, terrible day for Telus. 

Do not stop. Keep the pressure up.  Tell local and social media channels about this. Tell others to file complaints. Every single complaint is damaging Telus right now.

Think about the statistics - 9000 total complaints against ALL companies in 2016. 

PM only had 100.  If this number increases to 2-3000 it is going to severely impact Telus.

The end result will be some form of free compensation or service for all who file complaints.  Telus may even have to pay a fine and explain why they are killing the very competition they said they would uphold in their purchase agreement of PM. 

The 2016 annual report is available here:

https://www.ccts-cprst.ca/report/annual-report-2016-2017/

More drilled down analysis is available here based on service provider

https://www.ccts-cprst.ca/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Appendix-A-Complaints-by-Service-Provider.pdf

sirvar

I asked as well @will13am and I got this robotic response 2 times: "payments made to Public Mobile are non-refundable" and "if you redeem the Koodo offer, you will receive a credit of $100 to compensate for any balance of unused plan you had with us". Not sure what game PM is playing but its time to stop or you will lose a lot of business.

mjs

When you obtain services from anywhere, you expect to receive those services at an agreed upon cost/ price. If that cost/ price changes without consent, then now you are dealing with the concumer potection act. Forget about the wireless code and the CCTS. Of course Public Mobile and other telecommunications companies have to adhere to the wireless code and service terms, but also have to adhere to other laws as well. Those include payment protcols and acts. Public Mobile runs its ACH through Telus. What that means is that their credit card processing agreement with their service providers/ bank runs through telus and teh service provider through a merchant agreement. Hint: That is why Telus can be named on any claim. Public Mobile cannot come and charge your credit card for an agreed amount and then turn around (once they got paid) and say "you have to pay more". That is in violation of their merchant agreement with Visa/ Mastercard and whichever service provider they use to run their transactions. On a 90 day prepaid plan, Public Mobile cannot come and increase the cost by providing a 30 day notice only. That is why you have all legal right to involve your bank/ credit card provider for a chargeback. And believe me when I say this: "you will get every dollar back". Not only this, Public Mobile and Telus would be in violation of their merchant agreement and will have to justify a high chargeback rate. You will also be creating a lot of paper work for both Telus and Public Mobile.

This is what you need to do to accomplish anything:

- Post on this forum

- Message a moderator (to show that you did it in writing)

- File a complaint with the CCTS

- File a complaint with the BBB (it's not going to do anything unless it goes to court)

- Important: file a complaint with Consumer Protection (every province has different regulations)

- MUST file a complaint with the Financial Consumer Agency of Canada.

- Send a written complaint to Telus's "executive client relations" department. I have a contact but I cannot provide due to legality issues. You would be able to obtain that information if you do a little digging.

- Be ready to contact your bank and revoke authorzation/ chargeback if necessary

- Be ready to be contact with Civil Resolutions Tribunal (CRT) (depends on each province)

- Be ready to get legal advice to eaither choose the CRT or a small claim option in provincial court or a class action in supreme court. Small claims are simpler and can be done individually. Supreme court claims are more complicated (but don't worry because lawyers and law firms on jump on matters like this and will only get paid after settlement).

- Most importantly: have the patience to go through the process.

There are multiple areas that Public Mobile could have violated, whether it's breach, false advertisement, bait and switch, providing false and misleading information, payment agreements, omproper notice, and the list can go on.

Remember this: when you make a claim, you have the legal right to claim ANYTHING that you want, whether it is true or not. That is the beauty with our legal system.

I know of a local law firm, that i spoke to, (I cannot disclose the name) who is already monitoring this situation.

Either way, you have to know your rights...and you have a lot of them. The best way to get results is to do your research and take action.

Tallguy11

@ty666666wrote:

I'm thinking of contacting CBC's Go Public.

Let's take this public & put some pressure on them. That's the only way they'll listen when it goes all over the news.

If anyone else is interested their email is:

gopublic@cbc.ca

Let the fight begin!

this is a great idea!!! if u do email them please post the email so other people can copy it and email it to them aswell

pakmode

If you don't think you are all making an impact by filing a complaint against Public Mobile with the CCTS - well you are dead wrong.  Every single complaint counts. 

In 2016 the CCTS took a TOTAL of 9097 complaints. 

Only 104 of these complaints were against Public Mobile, 631 complaints were against Telus and only 263 against Koodo. 

My estimation is that the CCTS has probably received 1500 complaints against Public Mobile in the last 24 hours alone.  Each and every complaint is going to have a damaging impact on the reputation of Telus. They can no longer call themselves a top-rated company in customer service. They will need a team of people too triage and address each of these complaints to the satisfaction of the CCTS and to us, the customer. 

Each complaint requires a written response and investigation from Telus/PM.

This is a terrible, terrible day for Telus. 

Do not stop. Keep the pressure up.  Tell local and social media channels about this. Tell others to file complaints. Every single complaint is damaging Telus right now.

Think about the statistics - 9000 total complaints against ALL companies in 2016. 

PM only had 100.  If this number increases to 2-3000 it is going to severely impact Telus.

The end result will be some form of free compensation or service for all who file complaints.  Telus may even have to pay a fine and explain why they are killing the very competition they said they would uphold in their purchase agreement of PM. 

The 2016 annual report is available here:

https://www.ccts-cprst.ca/report/annual-report-2016-2017/

More drilled down analysis is available here based on service provider

https://www.ccts-cprst.ca/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Appendix-A-Complaints-by-Service-Provider.pdf

kotraders

This is a huge price increase and koodo is only offering $100 credit which I just paid my 3 months service for PM at the beginning of Feb. The 4GB each month from Koodo isn't the same as 12GB for 3 months from PM and you have to pay for sim at Koodo....

I am going to go to CCTS if no satifying explanation....

tingtingting09

Dear Public Mobile,

This is a formal attempt to resolve a complaint with regard to the $10/month price increase, as was sent to me via a text from "5133" on February 15, 2018. 

When I signed up for Public Mobile service, my primary motivator was the clause in the fine print that stated that I will be able to retain "$120 / 3-months" rate indefinitely with "no surprises". Public Mobile was a relatively new company, and I took a risk by being a pioneer with this plan. 

This price increase is inconsistent and not what was promised when the advertisement indicated the following "If you have signed up for the promotional plan, you will be able to keep it after the promo period, as long as you are an active customer. This means that, as long as you are an active customer on this plan, your plan price will remain at $120, even after your initial 90 days. No surprises". Link to website to this quote: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/UPDATE-Last-day-to-get-our-limited-time...

Please contact me directly via Phone or Email to resolve this issue. Please be advised I will attempt to pursue resolution of this complaint via the CCTS and the better business Bureau shortly if I do not hear back within a reasonable timeframe.

Thank you. 

Liyuan

aeolus

@Luddite I have not been offered a better plan. A 90 day billing cycle has the benefits of data carrying over the 90 days. This plan also carries a billing guarantee while the new plan does not. A guaranteed price is better than what they are offering. My billing cycle just passed. I receive billing discounts. I have money on this account in the form of prepaid credits and long distance. Your unsolicited advice is not welcome.

pokepok

Dear Public Mobile,

i need an answer from Public Mobile.

I just renewed a few days ago before i received this increase.

You want me to transfer to koodo and offering me $100 credit WHEN IT IS LESS than what i paid (PREPAID) and the data unused is not cummulative. This is in the first place an UNFAIR OFFER.

In this page which i have saved in my cache before you delete it, you stated it will be this way :

If you have signed up for the promotional plan, you will be able to keep it after the promo period, as long as you are an active customer. This means that, as long as you are an active customer on this plan, your plan price will remain at $120, even after your initial 90 days. No surprises.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/UPDATE-Last-day-to-get-our-limited-time...

I need a reasonable answer from you or else i will file a  COMPLAINT WITH CCTS!

Thank you!

Please contact me directly via Phone or Email to resolve this issue. Please be advised I will attempt to pursue resolution of this complaint via the CCTS and the better business Bureau shortly if I do not hear back within a reasonable timeframe.

Thank you. 

yihtangyeo

@Ludditewrote:

I do undertand the angst associated with this offer. I'm really only concerned that people don't turn down the Bird in the Hand (Koodo offer) with the one in the bush (CCTS forces PM/Telus to roll back the price).  Everyone who joined PM after I did, did so because it was the best offer for their needs. Just do that analysis again bearing in mind the Koodo offer.

Do the analysis again?

Sure, let's compare.

Koodo: $40 per month, -$100 one time credit, +$15 one-time SIM card fee. Other circumstances: I will lose 2 months plan (as I just got renewed yesterday) for switching to Koodo by the promotional deadline. Cost: +$64 (2 months of $32, see below).

> One-time: -$21

> Monthly: $40

Public Mobile: $40 per month, -$1 credit for loyalty, -$2 autopay credit, -$5 referral credit per month

> Monthly: $32

I will be paying $8 extra per month. The $21 credit I got from switching to Koodo will be wiped out in less than 3 months. This is without factoring in the fact that I need a small tab to get the $100 credit.

Absolutely scumbag move by Public Mobile.

WearySky

@yihtangyeowrote:

@WearySkywrote:

@yihtangyeowrote:

@Ludditewrote:

@yihtangyeo Apparently CCTS will not look at this until your price has actually increased. Plus Telus has offered a better plan at the same price.

Yeah I'm not sure if you are seeing the same website content as I do. The cheapest Telus prepaid plan is $37 per month with 250 MB data. Maybe the website looks a little different if you're a Telus affiliate, eh?

Luddite was obviously referring to Telus offering you the Koodo $40/4GB plan, which is a better plan since it has unlimited nationwide calling instead of just provincial.

I wouldn't call it a "better" plan.

How exactly is it better if the it's something that you don't use? I fully accepted that I can only make provincial call when I signed up for my plan. Giving me something I don't need doesn't qualify as "better".

Offering more than what you have is literally the definition of a better plan.  Whether or not you need it doesn't matter, it's still *technically* a better plan for the same (base) price - as I mentioned above, it's not *really* the same price even if your only discount was autopay discounts, but that's arguing semantics, really, the base price is technically the same.

Personally, my plan is to wait a couple weeks and then jump ship, and hopefully pick up some $50 refer a friend bill credits in the process by bringing my referrals over to Koodo as well.  Unless Rogers or Bell offers a comparable plan to try to lure people away.

Artemis567

@Ludditewrote:

I do undertand the angst associated with this offer. I'm really only concerned that people don't turn down the Bird in the Hand (Koodo offer) with the one in the bush (CCTS forces PM/Telus to roll back the price).  Everyone who joined PM after I did, did so because it was the best offer for their needs. Just do that analysis again bearing in mind the Koodo offer.

What only for them to increase the price another 7 months down the road!?

mediocrates

Like many others here, I am also writing to complain about the recent price increase despite it being explicity written that there would be no price increases for the 12GB/$120 per 3 month deal after the promotional deal. If Public Mobile does not make good on their promises, I will be filing a complaint to the CCTS.

hurthouse

Dear Public Mobile,

This price increase is inconsistent and not what was promised when the advertisement indicated the following "If you have signed up for the promotional plan, you will be able to keep it after the promo period, as long as you are an active customer. This means that, as long as you are an active customer on this plan, your plan price will remain at $120, even after your initial 90 days. No surprises". Link to website to this quote: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/UPDATE-Last-day-to-get-our-limited-time...

Thank you. 

TorontoWave

Hello,

I activated my account with Public Mobile in 2016 under the fall promotion: 3 months, $120, 12GBs of data, and 200 minutes of US and Canada long distance. I received a text message today informing me my rate would be increased by $30 for each 3 month period. After accounting for the discounts I've accrued with Public Mobile, this amounts to a 27% price increase.

This is a direct contradiction of material representations made by your staff to induce prospective customers into moving from our previous cellular providers and purchasing your services. Here is an example of one such representation made by Brooke_C, a Public Mobile representative:

"If you have signed up for the promotional plan, you will be able to keep it after the promo period, as long as you are an active customer. This means that, as long as you are an active customer on this plan, your plan price will remain at $120, even after your initial 90 days. No surprises."

Source: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/UPDATE-Last-day-to-get-our-limited-time...

This makes the representation false or misleading under the Competition Act.

If the cost of my plan increases, I will file a complaint with the Competition Bureau for your contravention of the Competition Act. If I do not receive a response within 7 calendar days explicitly stating that my plan's price will not increase, I will file a complaint with the Competition Bureau for your contravention of the Competition Act.

Further, the text I received offered me a seemingly equivalent plan if I move to Koodo. Here are the problems with such an offer:

1. I just paid for 3 months of service on February 7th, 2018. I received the text in question on February 15th. The offer to move to Koodo expires March 15th, 2018. If I take advantage of the offer, I forfeit 2 months worth of prepaid service with Public Mobile - equivalent to roughly $74.
  2. I forfeit the discounts I have accrued with Public Mobile - equivalent to $9 every 3 months.
  3. The plan does not include US long-distance.
  4. There is no mention if any of the additional services I currently receive are included in this offer e.g. Caller ID, Voicemail.
  5. 4GBs of data per month is not as flexible compared to 12 GBs of data every 3 months.
  6. I am not being given any assurance that the plan's cost will not change in the future.

Therefore, I must conclude that this is not a fair or equivalent offer, even after the $100 credit being offered.

If the cost of my plan increases, I will file a complaint with the Commission for Complaints for Telecom-television Services. If I do not receive a response within 7 calendar days explicitly stating that my plan's price will not increase, I will file a complaint with the Commission for Complaints for Telecom-television Services.

Please respond as soon as possible. I wish to resolve this matter in an amicable and timely fashion.

@yihtangyeo I'm using the term "Better" in the way I suspect Telus/PM will when CCTS comes calling. CCTS just seems a long shot to me.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Boomsly

Dear Public Mobile,

Thank you. 

Need Help? Let's chat.