cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3g to 4g

narlee2
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I switched from 3g to 4g in September and I’m still showing 3 g most of the time.  How do I ensure I am getting the faster speed. My account shows 4g

8 REPLIES 8

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@narlee2 

This could be due to your location. If connecting the 4G LTE network is poor your phone will automatically switch to the 3G network if it offers a more stable network connection. What is your location? You can also check your local cell tower network capabilities here....

https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html?lat=71.639691&lng=-96.663258&zoom=3&type=Roadm...

Tsawwassen
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@narlee2 wrote:

I switched from 3g to 4g in September and I’m still showing 3 g most of the time.  How do I ensure I am getting the faster speed. My account shows 4g

Although 4G is faster than 3g -- generally it may only be noticeable if you occasionally stream movies on your phone that I doubt can justify the extra cost. But if you do stream movies it will eat your data up in no time flat. All the money grabs are in plain sight and I'm not above falling for them. For example for extra $$$ we upgraded our Bell fibe 500 internet to Bell Fibe 1.5 GB. With this upgrade we have not noticed any difference  in movie streaming etc. When I run third party speed tests on my late model MacBook at most I get 495 MBps however when I run the Bell app speediest it shows close to 1.5 GB (1500 MBps) download speeds. Now which should I believe and how should I justify the extra $$$/ month?

@Quigley wrote:

@narlee2 

Try logging into your account using a browser in incognito or private mode.

Your probably looking at old cached information before.

Try doing a speed test, to check what speed your getting. Google speed test and pick one to try.

I believe that narlee2 is saying that a 3g icon is showing on the phone screen, rather than anything that is displayed in the Self Serve account.  Previously cached information from the Self Serve website would have no effect on the speed of the mobile data. 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@narlee2 , make sure the network type is set to 4G preferred on your phone.  Apart from this there's nothing more you can do to affect speed performance.  

Quigley
Mayor / Maire

@narlee2 

Google, speed test and then pick one to try.

narlee2
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

How do I do a test on my phone

Quigley
Mayor / Maire

@narlee2 

Try logging into your account using a browser in incognito or private mode.

Your probably looking at old cached information before.

Try doing a speed test, to check what speed your getting. Google speed test and pick one to try.

Need Help? Let's chat.