cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3G will get dropped in the near future

Guy8
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

since 3G will get dropped in the near future , we will have to upgrade to 4 or 5 G 

i have been with PM for a long time with many referral all of which have the 3G and 1G plans @$35

if I upgrade will I lose my rewards for loyalty -refer a friend - automatic payment- and gift bundles received by PM which I haven’t used yet ?

9 REPLIES 9

@Phil_Adelphus wrote:

@Guy8   I went from a 3G plan to a 5G plan and my reward points remained.  Having said that, if people on a 3G plan must use 3G for calls because they don't have VoLTE then they will need new phones when 3G is sunsetted.  That's the problem those roaming in the USA have now because there is already no more 3G there and people likely don't realize that because it's still a thing in Canada.

@Phil_Adelphus 

Just to clarify the bolded sentence: 3G plans have access to VoLTE. As long as the phone is on the stupid white list.

One of my referrals has a Pixel 6a on the $15 plan. Works flawlessly with VoLTE.

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@Guy8   I went from a 3G plan to a 5G plan and my reward points remained.  Having said that, if people on a 3G plan must use 3G for calls because they don't have VoLTE then they will need new phones when 3G is sunsetted.  That's the problem those roaming in the USA have now because there is already no more 3G there and people likely don't realize that because it's still a thing in Canada.

Guy8

Thanks for the quick reply

Shutdown
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

It's not 3G plan but rather a plan capped to 3mbps. So you can still use LTE/5G and also you mean your friends are on $25/1GB? Cause that's the current 3G plan cost. If they are on $35/1gb they should switch to $25/1gb or $34/20gb.

Guy8

thanks for the quick reply 

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Changing plans does not affect rewards or freebie add-ons except data add-ons will go into a non-compatible status if you get a non-roaming 5G plan.
The sunsetting of 3G UMTS is unrelated.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Guy8 

from what we know, 3G won't go away for another 2 years, maybe

but the 3G Plan you are talking about is a 3G speed plan, you can still access LTE and 5G network with a capped speed

and upgrade won't affect your loyalty rewards, you will still be staying with it

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Guy8 

nope...you keep 'em all when you upgrade...just NEVER opt for Points ! They Suck.

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@Guy8 Nothing happens to your rewards like you mentioned when you change plans. Everything stays the same. If you upgrade to a 5G plan some free add on data packs will be incompatible but stay on your account in case you switch back to a 3G/4G plan.

Need Help? Let's chat.