cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3G verses 4G

Jennalynn
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi All:)

I had a friend sign up yesterday, bought the SIM at Koodo mobile, and you guessed it, the guy attempted to get my friend to stay with Koodo..Can't blame them.  Anyways, his main argument was that PM only runs 3G and not 4G and he claims that 3G is "no longer maintained"..What??? He said that because of this, PM service will be unreliable.  I haven't had any issues, is he right?  Will 3G just be dropped and leave us all with no alternative but to return to other carriers?  Yikes.  I hope not...he scared me...

Thanks in advance for your input...

Jenna

44 REPLIES 44

when that happens maybe we'll have throttled 5g 🙏 and full LTE 👍 2025 

@Jennalynn you've received good advice from others already. The only point I will add is that once Telus and Bell decide to decommission 3G, PM will be forced to offer VoLTE for voice services.

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@Jennalynn 

Public Mobile, Koodo Mobile, and Telus Mobile are all owned by Telus. They all run on the Telus network. None of them can include or exclude network technologies different from the others.

Your Koodo sales rep was spreading disinformation. Perhaps he misunderstands what he sells, perhaps he doesn't care what you misunderstand if gives him the sale - either way it's completely untrue.

The Big Three are constantly expanding and upgrading their network coverage, in some places they have indeed installed 4G-only stations which don't carry 3G services. 3G is usually still available anyhow (though perhaps not best signal and performance, if from distant stations), it's still used for voice traffic and it's still used for E911/Emergency traffic. I think the 4G-only stations are installed where they want to increase data-carrying density for larger 4G user demand (ie: core urban areas). I have yet to find any time or place where 4G is available yet 3G is not.

And, as it turns out, Public Mobile's (and Koodo's, and Telus's) "3G" operates on 4G anyhow.

Jennalynn

WOW!  Awesome!  Thank you for this!

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Some sales do not take closer look what exactly PM is providing.

They are comparing 3G against LTE(4G).  It is part of PM marketing's fault.  They should have use "3G or LTE capped at 3Mbps".

Also, sales are always think what they are selling is the best. 

When I refer my friends to PM, I always tell them about the no call center and support is provided by moderator.  It will take up to 2 days to get help.

@darlicious wrote:

@Jennalynn 

This is another example of koodo's stellar employees actively feeding misinformation about public mobile (their sister company) all of which are owned by telus. As I have pointed out to @Alan_K in the past. The fact that koodo management does not discourage this kind of poor customer service and plain lies by its employees just shows what kind of service you would recieve as a customer. Telus needs to reign in this kind of management style as it reflects poorly on not only koodo but on the entire telus brand and it's companies. Dishonesty will chase away all customers to the competition and their lower- tiered brands. I don't want to koodo bash knowing that their service and telus help "subsidize"  the lower rates we enjoy at public mobile.

I never thought I'd say this but it's beginning to look like there is another mobile provider that I wouldnt recommend or endorse other than fido.  Those two can keep each other company at the bottom of the customer service barrel.

We all welcome @Jennalynn s friend to public mobile.  Don't worry 3G and 4GLTE are here for a long time to come! Plus you use way less data doing the same thing when it's throttled!

@darlicious you are exactly right I was a koodo customer for many years and I have experienced their lies and deceptive practices first hand 

@Jennalynn  Fongo and TextNow are voip apps. I added the TextNow app and use it over WiFi to make/ receive/ send calls and texts within Canada and to and from the US for free.

I'm on the $15 limited minute plan. You can also use it as I do to check my voicemail from my own phone without using the minutes from the PM plan. Simply dial your PM phone number - reject the call when it rings (this sends the call to voicemail) - press the * key to allow you to enter your password. - enter it followed by #  - and you are in your voicemail account - Hang up when you are finished. No minutes used. 

@Jennalynn 

This is another example of koodo's stellar employees actively feeding misinformation about public mobile (their sister company) all of which are owned by telus. As I have pointed out to @Alan_K in the past. The fact that koodo management does not discourage this kind of poor customer service and plain lies by its employees just shows what kind of service you would recieve as a customer. Telus needs to reign in this kind of management style as it reflects poorly on not only koodo but on the entire telus brand and it's companies. Dishonesty will chase away all customers to the competition and their lower- tiered brands. I don't want to koodo bash knowing that their service and telus help "subsidize"  the lower rates we enjoy at public mobile.

I never thought I'd say this but it's beginning to look like there is another mobile provider that I wouldnt recommend or endorse other than fido.  Those two can keep each other company at the bottom of the customer service barrel.

We all welcome @Jennalynn s friend to public mobile.  Don't worry 3G and 4GLTE are here for a long time to come! Plus you use way less data doing the same thing when it's throttled!

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@Jennalynn wrote:

Hi All:)

I had a friend sign up yesterday, bought the SIM at Koodo mobile, and you guessed it, the guy attempted to get my friend to stay with Koodo..Can't blame them.  Anyways, his main argument was that PM only runs 3G and not 4G and he claims that 3G is "no longer maintained"..What??? He said that because of this, PM service will be unreliable.  I haven't had any issues, is he right?  Will 3G just be dropped and leave us all with no alternative but to return to other carriers?  Yikes.  I hope not...he scared me...

Thanks in advance for your input...

Jenna

@Jennalynn hi  he is just your typical salesman using scare tactics and B.S. to sell his product

Jennalynn

Hello!!

What is fongo?  I have never heard of it..:)

Thank you!

Jennalynn

PHEW!  that is great news!  Thank you:)

oglat
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Talk here is 3g only, no VoLTE available for us (yet, watch it change)

But if you didn't notice till now you probably won't have issues. If you would get into an area with LTE towers only you wouldn't be able to talk, text and data ate unaffected though. If you find yourself in such situation, use fongo.

Never had issue

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

PM uses Bell and Telus cell towers which are 4G but throttles data speeds to 3G.  You won't notice for everyday use unless you stream high quality videos or music.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Jennalynn 

This is not true. Public mobile has 3G and 4GLTE just like koodo and we all share the same telus coverage. The only difference is pm throttles its 4G service to 3mbps. 3G can be chosen in your phone for up to 20mbps but may not be consistent. That's just koodo being koodo......

Need Help? Let's chat.