cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3G or LTE network

Cookie72
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Public Mobile is said to use the 3G network, and my current plan has 4.5GB on 3G network. However, my phone usually says I am using a 4GLTE network when my data is activated. Is this a glitch or do I somehow have access to this network? My phone is a Samsung Galaxy S6.

3 REPLIES 3

All Public customers have access to both the 3g and LTE networks, regardless of plan.  However, voice is only carried on the 3g network.  While that is the case, a phone being on the LTE network will automatically switch back to 3g for phone calls.  Currently, LTE is only used for data services.  The 3g network can be used for both vocie and data. 

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

Public Mobile's "3G plans" are really LTE light: it's a LTE connection (with the according fast "ping" but upload and download speeds are throttled to 3mbps.

I personally have the network settings on automatic, so my phone is connected to the LTE network whenever available. You could manually select the 3G network, trading the better latency for higher speeds where available.

They are good, cost effective alternatives for people with average uses like checking emails, social media etc. Unless you are streaming lots of HD movies, download huge files or do a lot of gaming you're unlikely noticing a difference.

Effort
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

The plan is on the LTE network but it is limited to 3Mbit down.

You can manually set your phone to 3G mode and if you do, you get faster speeds but you end up in 3G's latency.

Honestly, it's up to you. I haven't had issue with 3G mode, and I enjoy the faster speeds to load up cat gifs quicker.

Need Help? Let's chat.