cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3G calls succeed, LTE/5G calls drop on answer, when calling Iristel numbers (BC)

ArtfulDodger
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I've got a technical issue that probably needs escalation with the backend/engineering team at Telus. I have a VoIP number provided by Telnyx, who are using Iristel as their upstream carrier. I had no problems calling from my cell when I was with Fido, but since switching to Public Mobile my calls don't go through. I have clients who have Telus Mobility cell service and they have the same issue - it appears to be an interop issue between Telus Mobility and Iristel.

Calling from 604 721 65xx to 604 239 63xx, with my phone on LTE or 5G, the far end rings, I hear ringback tone, but as soon as the call is answered at the far end, it drops. Telnyx and Iristel both see the SIP BYE message inbound, and the caller experience on my cell is the call drops as if the far end rejected the call. The BYE is definitely inbound from the Iristel side and they say Telus say the phone is sending the BYE.

If I switch my phone to 3G, the far end rings, I hear ringback tone, and when the call is answered we have successful two way audio. The phone screen shows the HD icon briefly, then it disappears, and the audio flows as expected.

I made two test calls around 12:00pm PDT on 24 Apr 2024, the first on LTE, the second on 3G, with the above results. Knowing this is "a bit more technical than the average forum post" I'm hoping there's a way to escalate this issue to the engineering teams as it feels "bigger than just me" and also possibly "more a Telus/interop issue than a Public Mobile issue". I think that looking at the SIP ladders for the two test calls should show a difference, possibly related to codec or media negotiation.

Happy to engage directly with anyone who's able to help, and provide more test calls/details if necessary.

3 REPLIES 3

ArtfulDodger

Also worth mentioning: This is problematic on a Google Pixel 6, but appears ok on an iPhone. Be interested to see if other Android vs iPhone users have the same problem/success as my tests. Happy to take DMs from anyone who wants the terminating number if you'd be willing to make a quick test call (it's an echo test number, no talking required).

ArtfulDodger

Ticket submitted, although it only prompted for subject line, not details/problem description.

I'm using an eSIM so can't test my SIM in another phone, but would be willing to switch to a physical SIM to help test. If I grab a physical SIM from a store, can I flip my service over to it through the web portal?

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

@ArtfulDodger 

can you test your sim card in another phone to see if you need to make such network change for the calls to go throught?

but yes, it sounds like PM needs to escalate the issue with Telus technicians.   please submit a ticket with CS Agent using this Chatbot link:  https://widget.telus.tiia.ai/publicmobile/publicmobile.html  Type the question "Submit ticket", Then click the following in order: "Contact Us" ,  "Other",  "Log In".  
If any issue with ticket submission, you can  submit by direct message:  
      https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437 

Need Help? Let's chat.