cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

196 Outgoing calls to 647-580-4001

jackieqqiu
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Got lots of calls this morning. Picked one call - the caller asked why I called him from this number. Then I checked the usage and found there are lots of outgoing calls to 6475804001. I searched online and found public mobile had the same issue before at year 2019 and 2020. Can you please help to fix the issue? Thanks, 

15 REPLIES 15

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

To add some more explanation to this, voicemail works by using call forwarding. A call comes in and for one reason or another doesn't get answered. The standard call forwarding is used to re-direct the caller to the voicemail system. There are many voicemail access numbers. Many of them end with 4001.

Then the standard is that the long press of the 1 button in the dialer uses the same number.

Other providers use a short code or dial code to access voicemail.

jackieqqiu

No, the number has been used for several years. Thanks, 

Community_QA
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@jackieqqiu Is this a new number you got from PM? How long have you used this number?

Yes very frustrating and seems to be happening more and more. 

@jackieqqiu wrote:

I got almost 200 messages and calls asking me why did I call them. but i did not do it.

if you don't need to keep this phone number, you have the option of changing your number. Other than that, all you can really do is ignore the calls and messages from people who you don't know.

Hi @jackieqqiu it is call Caller ID Spoofing. 

Some system generates some number like real number to fool other to pick up the calls.  It is hard to avoid.  Changing number does not help as the system just randomly generated the number and a new number has the same chance as your current number.  It will die down eventually as those system will randomly pick other numbers as well.

@jackieqqiu wrote:

yes, today I got over 100 messages and calls asking why I called them. what should I do?

@jackieqqiu  - there is not much you can do unfortunately. 

Just tell whoever calls you it was not you that called them, your number is being spoofed.

There have been a few other very recent posts about this. Hopefully, these go away soon.

jackieqqiu

I got almost 200 messages and calls asking me why did I call them. but i did not do it.

@jackieqqiu wrote:

Ok. thank. But why am I receiving so many calls from others? the problem is that they told me that I called them before but I didn't. Does that mean my number was hacked? Regards

@jackieqqiu  - Your number may be getting spoofed. So someone is using your number (well making it look like your number) to call other people.

Your usage history will show your voicemail number even if someone does not leave a voicemail for you. It just needs to connect. Are you noticing you are missing any calls?

edit, extra 'quote' added in error, so removed it.

jackieqqiu

yes, today I got over 100 messages and calls asking why I called them. what should I do?

@jackieqqiu wrote:

Ok. thank. But why am I receiving so many calls from others? the problem is that they told me that I called them before but I didn't. Does that mean my number was hacked? Regards

This isn't a matter of hacking.  This sounds to be an issue of someone pretending to call others from your number. 

jackieqqiu

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

Hi @jackieqqiu Don't worry, this is just your voice-mail.  There are many different numbers like that and most of them ends with 4001

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

But, wait...I kind of missed your subject - 196!!  @jackieqqiu 

Was this in a short period of time? Did someone have you on redial, and was REALLY trying to get a hold of you, but you were unavailable?

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@jackieqqiu  - that is your voicemail number. It will be listed like that when someone calls your voicemail, or you dial it as well.

🙂

Need Help? Let's chat.